Mag and Cal levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I use a red sea reef foundation kit and admittedly don't test as often as I should. I switched my salt to Kent and my mag and calcium levels are off the chart. Literally. I am getting 800 for calcium and over 1600 for mag and 9.8 for alk. Is this possible. Will it hurt anything?? I want to raise my alk a little cause I think it must be why my torch is not opening properly but everything else seems to be good. Except my snails. They seems to be disappearing.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a hard time believing those numbers. I would test again to see what they say a second time, especially since Kent's numbers aren't close to being that high or even one with 'the most' calcium and such in their salt. I would also suggest stirring the salt around, could also be an off patch that just didn't get stirred in as well as it should have.

A newly mixed reef saltwater with a salinity of 1.026 can not have more than 500 of calcium. I would question your test kits. How do you measure your salinity?

I test with a refractometer. I am going to wash everything with r/o water again and retest today. Water is at 1.026 and 27 degrees.

When was the last time you calibrated your refractometer? I would verify its accuracy. Trace elements have direct proportion with salinity in salt mix.

I just recalibrated and unless my calibration fluid is out I was actually low. My 1.026 solution read 1.030.

It does now. Gonna have to keep a closer eye on the refractometer. Going to retest my tank right now then do a water change and slowly raise the salinity again. Explains why my snails have been disappearing.

Agh. I should never test and watch TV at the same time. I used a full 10 ml of water for each test last night. Turns out my calcium is 460 mag is only 980 and alk is 9.8. My mag and alk used to be bang on with instant ocean but are dropping since switching to Kent salt. Does this sound about right. If so I should switch back.

Watched my tank till three in the morning last night out of curiosity. Turns out my supposedly safe black brittle star is taking out snails. Pretty sure he got my two purple firefish that disappeared? Anybody have any good removal tricks? If not I am going to try the bottle trap.......

I actually watched it take a live one last night. I have a few different types. Can't say it has taken them all but I know for sure it gutted last night's snail.

Well, if you want him out just feed the tank. I'm sure yours will come out as quickly as mine did to try to get the food floating around the tank. Just reach in with a pair of tongs or gloves and grab him. Hopefully you have a sump or something to put it in.

Back
Top Bottom