mandarin dragonet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking of getting a mandarin dragonet to add to my reef. I QT all new arrivals for a four weeks but I am concerned about his food source while in QT. No LR or pods in the QT tank, won't he starve? I hate to skip the QT period. Right now I have a Royal Gramma in QT, will they get along? Thanks!

I had the same problem when I QT'd mine. I think I had a few pods in the tank since it sand and was seeded with some LR but after about 2.5 weeks, he started getting skinny. I tried different foods even live brine but he would have nothing. You could order some live pods after you get the fish.

I had to move mine a bit early but I did have alomst 3 weeks in QT.

I think the gramma and the mandarin will be ok. I have a gramma in QT right now that will be housed with my mandarin.

mandarins are not prone to ick they have a body slime which helps keep it off !! most fish wont mess with a mandarin due to they are toxic to eat i believe !! id add him to the main tank due to he's prob not had food in awhile already :)

Had the same problem. I added mine to the main tank after 3 days. As Scuba-Steve said they are not prone to Ick. they have no scales and are slimy yet beautiful critters. I have had him in my main tank over a month and everything looks good. They are a trip to watch. Good luck

I had heard the same thing about them not gettng ich when I added mine and was told that is not always true. I guess the best thing to say(as was said) is they may not be prone to ich. Still possible though, IMO.

I QT'd mine for this reason. If you have nothing in the Display tank right now, should be ok though.

mandarins are not prone to ick they have a body slime which helps keep it off !! most fish wont mess with a mandarin due to they are toxic to eat i believe !! id add him to the main tank due to he's prob not had food in awhile already

Yea, I agree with scuba here, just add it into the main. If fish bother them they excrete a toxic mucous from their gill slits.

I just dumped my madarin right in and he has had no problems. As a new mandarin keeper, be warned about one thing. Their slime will get misc. stuff stuck in it as it is so thick (you'll see this when you net him.. .it will ooze out the bottom) So if you see any spots on your fish give it time as its likely debris that will wash away over the course of his slime shedding. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes...Lando

Back
Top Bottom