Massive Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wwidener

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need advice for a client with massive algae overgrowth. 70g, mixed reef, 4 medium size fish.

She had not cleaned her tank for six months and my first consultation showed 90% of the substrate with red algae and everything was covered in green algae, like Amazon forest covered. I have gotten it back to okay status so far. I have added five peppermint shrimp to help the out of control aiptasia problem.

Lights are on for 7 hours a day and no direct sunlight is involved. She is feeding a small amount once daily. All parameters are WNL. The growth continues so I have started dosing with Algae-Fix temporarily.

I finally told her I want to come by weekly for 40% water changes for four weeks.

What are your thoughts? I can't see food or light being an issue. All I can think of is it is excess nutrients in the substrate and on the rock left over from not cleaning it for so long.

Thanks.

Manual removal and large water changes. All that will be needed most likely, but you’d need to change more water out than that. If nitrates were 100, a 50% water change would still leave you with 50 and algae issues.

Water changes until the tanks nitrates are low then weekly water changes at 40% should be good.... you'd have to test the water at day 7 and see what you got? Maybe throw in a Siamese algae eater or two with the shrimp?

Sounds like cyanno ?
Try red slime remover by Boyds...
It will work but you need to fix the cause or it will come back.
I had cyanno terrible in my tank on LR but none in my sump on the LR.
I am leaning towards lighting having a effect many don't recognize as the nutrient level had to be the same in DT and sump and light and LESS circulation in sump were only difference.

Water changes until the tanks nitrates are low then weekly water changes at 40% should be good.... you'd have to test the water at day 7 and see what you got? Maybe throw in a Siamese algae eater or two with the shrimp?

The water changes are key, but saltwater doesn’t have any magic solutions for algae removal like moss balls. It should never be addressed by adding additional livestock. Even if they were able to keep up with a major issue, they would then need to be fed once the issue is solved and can be an issue on the salty side of things with finicky eaters and how testy they can be.

Back
Top Bottom