Maxima Opportunity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an opportunity to purchase a beautiful 5.5 inch maxima clam at a lfs. I haven't found anything really definite on the web about the lighting requirements other than they like high lighting. Would I be able to do this clam with 324 watts (72 gallon bowfront - approx 22-23" deep)?

Thank you!

From what i have heard from the guy at my lfs they like a few more watts/gal then you have. He game me a number of 6-8. I've also heard they like MH for the intensity. I don't know how much i trust that guy at my lfs yet but i thought i would pass it on. I could be way off though.

325watts of why type of lighting? For best results, this clam needs MH lighting. However, I kept a bown/gold keyhole maxima in my first 38gal reef under PC lights. It did fine until I moved it to my 72gal. The lighting was just not enough for it and it ended up getting sick and dying. In short, for that size of tank your best bet is MH.

325watts of why type of lighting? For best results, this clam needs MH lighting. However, I kept a bown/gold keyhole maxima in my first 38gal reef under PC lights. It did fine until I moved it to my 72gal. The lighting was just not enough for it and it ended up getting sick and dying. In short, for that size of tank your best bet is MH.

Just upgraded to this -- Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5. I think this called VHO lighting??

Your lights are T5 HO. They are better than VHO. :)

A maxima, especially that big, should be OK with those light as long as you keep it as high as you can. Only problem is when it's up high you can't really look down on the matle to see all the cool colors....and that's sort of why we want them. A maxima is also probably the most sensitive and hardest to keep. I've had my maxima about 2 yrs and it's grown quite a bit. I have it directly under a MH, but near the bottom of my tank.
Here's a good article on clams.

I agree you may be okay with t5's...especially if all of the bulbs have their own reflector. THis will direct more usable light toward the tank. Placement will be key. Hopefully you can fisn a good spot that allows for great light and good viewing as well. Post a pic if the you get the animal.
BTW...I am currently acclimating a small 2.5in maxima in my main. I stopped by the LFS today on the way home from work and they have several small maximas for $25. I could not pass it up.

Your lights are T5 HO. They are better than VHO. :)

A maxima, especially that big, should be OK with those light as long as you keep it as high as you can. Only problem is when it's up high you can't really look down on the matle to see all the cool colors....and that's sort of why we want them. A maxima is also probably the most sensitive and hardest to keep. I've had my maxima about 2 yrs and it's grown quite a bit. I have it directly under a MH, but near the bottom of my tank.
Here's a good article on clams.

Thanks for info on the lighting....I wasn't quite sure just what those types of lights were called.

That is a really, really good article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

This clam is absolutely beautiful but I REALLY want to make sure that I have the right lighting for it. The price is (gulp) $375 for 15 cm. I may have to wait to closer to Valentines day for it.

If I don't decide to get it, I'll have to post a picture of it....it's really something to see.

Thanks very much for the info folks....it is GREATLY appreciated.

Lando,

Clams under about 3" need supplemental feedings of phyto. Not a bad idea for larger clams once a week too.

Yah...I have raised a baby crocea from about 1.5in. It is now over four. I use the old "pop bottle" method to feed DT's live phyto to feed.

You should be OK with the T5`s Mrs beanctr. They are better as CCCapt said than VHO`s. I have the squamosa clam as they can make it on the moderate lighting.

I was wrong....the beauty is $400--very dark blue (almost black) with bright, screamin' light blue in the middle. The edges are a very, very light blue. He also got another maxima in that was $375--it's "nice" and about the same size but the color is kinda blah.

hmmm....wonder how that gorgeous purple brain of melosu's would do under that lighting?:drool:

Too many years doing taxes so I quit doing them a couple of years ago.

Well, I did it, I just ordered a 5 inch derasa clam (and a couple of different corals) this morning AND I got the clam for $74.99....SCORE!!

Picture to follow......

Honestly, that is way expensive for almost any clam. Since this is your first clam and you are not too sure how things will go, I do not recommend you start out with a $400 animal. I would start with the easier to keep species like T. squamosa or T. deresa. If things go well then you can splurge. Better yet...buy the maxima clam now and I will hold on to for a bit!

Sorry...I should have read your last post a bit more carefully. Good call on the derasa. Where did you get it?

teeheehee lando - tell you what....I'll get the $400 clam and you can hold onto it....just get me melosu's purple brain and linkia's. Now that would be a great deal!

I got the clam and corals at "thatfishplace.com" I had a few gift cards (from getting my coral pictures put in their catalog) so I only ended up shelling out a few bucks. Man! I love it when a plan works out.

Back
Top Bottom