Mini HOB fuge to control micro algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been battleing algae for a while now, and now hair algae has started to develop.

My tank is 10 gal....so I plan on useing a Hagen Aquaclear 30 and convert it to a mini HOB fuge, with Chaeto, possible some other type of macro algae, and some LR rubble under it. I am going to light it with a coralife mini aqualight.

Will this help in Nutrient Export and control the micro algae in the tank?

Yes this will help with the nutrient export. Just make sure you trim the macro and take it out. If you leave it in it will get too big and there will not be enough light to feed it all. Then you will have some die-off and it will place nutrients back into the tank. This will help control the hair as it will take away its source of food. What are your nitrate and phosphate reading?? Mexican turbos do a real good job on hair. HTH

I have some hair algae in my tank as well. I know it is from overfeeding because I use R/O water. I have the large aquafuge comming tomorrow and was basically wondering the same thing. My trates are at 20 and my phos is at 0. TIA

melosu58 said:
It would help to find out what is causing this. Tap or overfeeding ?

Neither.......

I feed the fish three times a week(maybe 5-7 brine shrimp per feeding, rinsed in ro/di, it is only a 1 1/2 inch neon dottyback) and the corals once a week.

And I use RO/DI water.

This all started when I upgraded my lighting to 9.6 watt per gal CF. First a cyano outbreak, then that cleared up and now hair algae is growing FAST!

I need to test my PO4.....But I know my Nitrate is like 2.5 or less....it is way low.

When I upgraded my lighting I got cyano too. How long did it last for because I still have it? It has been getting a little better, but my trates are probably contributing to it because they are a little high at 20.

My HOB fuge is the only place I have cyano and hair algae. Makes for a convenient place to take it out manually. From that standpoint, it can work pretty well. Pods seem to like some thick hair algae so I always leave some for them to live in.

Back
Top Bottom