Missing Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started stocking my 125 soon to be reef tank. Added a yellow tang and two false percula clownfish with a CUC. The tang instantly started hiding. I saw it later that night and then I haven't seen it since. I checked the Overflow box, sump, filter sox, the Overflow plumbing, and all around the floor. I even went as far as moving all the rock out of the tank and there is no sign of it.
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 nitrate
1.023 salinity

Any suggestions?

I've had that same problem but with a flame angel.
It turned out that he was stuck inside of a rock. When I got him out he was still alive but passed away later that day.

Assuming the tank was cycled, how long was it fallow before you added 3 fish? Adding 3 fish at one time can overwhelm the beneficial bacteria that run the nitrate cycle in our systems. Normally why we advocate slow and progressive introduction of livestock into our tanks. Throw in there that it is a easily stressed out fish like a tang, and things can look grim even to the most experienced in our hobby. I'm sorry for what sounds like a loss. Give it some time and try again.

Tangs are tricky. There are an enormous number of posts here discussing them to exhaustion. They are more sensitive than most other fish is one point we mostly agree on.

I could never keep a yellow tang, but I tried my time with a sail fin tang and had great luck with him so far.

Tank was cycled for about a month before adding the clean up crew. The tang wasn't very big to begin with.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Checked the floor. No sign of him.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive found fish dried up next to a tank months after when I know I looked before.

I've always heard that small Tangs do not do as well as larger ones. Paying a few extra bucks for slightly larger is a good idea. Sorry about the loss though (hoping it shows for you, just not too sure a bright yellow fish is hiding that good).

Back
Top Bottom