Mix salt for 4 hours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was always under the impression that mixing longer is better. I have always let my salt mix overnight to ensure its mixed properly. Then I found this in a new bucket of red sea.

ForumRunner_20131121_181141.jpg

Just incase the attachment didn't go through it states that water should be mixed vigorously without aeration for .5 - 2 hours... No more than 4 hours.

Is there something wrong with letting salt mix for more than 4 hours? Am I crazy for suddenly worrying about this?

I wonder why they recommend against mixing longer than 4 hours. It has me curious. I'm going to check their website, maybe send them an email for explanation.

My only guess would be they are concerned about evaporation raising the salinity if you mixed for too long in an open container.

I checked their website, nothing really there, just marketing stuff mostly. I came across a YouTube video though (sorry there is no link, I'm on my phone and can't to get one for some reason). If you YouTube red sea coral pro salt you'll find it.

They basically day that if the water is mixed to long at to high of a temp the water will turn cloudy from calc and kh bonding and precipitating out of the water. (I think that's what they said)
They go on to say that if it does precipitate it's still ok because it's only like a 2% change in levels or something.

I do notice build up on my heater and pump after mixing all night but I always blamed my salt (salinity, Aquavitro).

If you are using Red Sea just mix as recommended and stop. No need to mix further. I mix single gallon in 30 minutes. No settled particles after.

Back
Top Bottom