My Electric Orange Crab switched his shell!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I have had this Hermit Crab for about 6 months now and it has never switched its shell I have waited patiently and anxiously watched as he would turn various shells over and over and would check out the inside but still nothing...untill today! I looked im my tank and said: "how did that big 'ol shell get up on top of that rock...wait a minute...is that a little orange leg sticking out of that shell!"

I feel like a kid on christmas morning!

The funny part...I was going to take that very shell out tonight because it was big and kinda ugly looking! LOL!

I think that's cool too! It's a good thing you didn't take that shell out. You know how you always need something after you get rid of it! The hermit would probably think, "I thought that one really cool shell WAS here..." :lol:

So I guess you didn't see the actual move? How is the hermit doing now? Did another crab take over the old shell, or don't you know which shell it was anymore?

nah didnt see the actual move which is a shame because I sat and watched him messing around with another shell for nearly an hour about 2 weeks ago.

"Come on...switch shells already...!"

anyways, I have seen some of my baby blue legs switch shells before so I know what its like. And let me tell you, there is nothing uglier than a hermit crab out of its shell!

:lol:

Yes, I bet the hermit itself isn't too pretty! Probably looks like a big worm! But it's neat to say that you saw it happen (the shell-switching). Maybe next time the hermit switches shells, you'll be able to watch! Of course, it could be awhile if he's that picky about finding a new shell! :lol:

I've got a 3" blue legg that switches between 3 shells all different sizes but the same shape.... I watch him everytime I see him do it, i know how you feel. It is cool when they change.

ok, he decided he liked his old home better....sigh. Oh well, at least he switched for a day. that makes me a little more releaved.

acually, he switched back to the new shell again tonight. So Hes probibly in a transisition phase of his life.

Back
Top Bottom