my newest hobby is this 14 gallon biocube tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fonzi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my name is Alberto, ive been a chef for a bit, my newest hobby is this 14 gallon biocube tank, i recieved it as a bday gift last sat, i added protein skimmer no carbon filter, added live bacteria, 11 lbs of live rock, 3 inches live sand, couple days ago added 4 tiny damsels, now heres my questions, my pump seems to have problems retaining minimum water levels and will start making noise shooting lots of air bubbles back into the water, i tryed adding water and raised the water level in the tank this helped for a bit but now its doing the same thing again, i cant add more water! Another problem i have is when i turn on my lights the fan makes a funny noise once i give a love smack it stops making the noise and hums quietly, whats that about? Also ive noticed a green moss type thing stated to grow on my rocks and now on the sand whats this? And are UV sterilizers helpful enough to invest in? Finally products like purple up a good idea yet?

P.S. how should i go about upgrading? ive read sooo many storys replace bio balls with live rock ruble, cheato algae... but im in california where cheato is banned? Thanks for your time and knowledge in advance!

Attachments

• DSC02102.jpg
    DSC02102.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 172
I have a conference call in a few minutes, but I will sum up my answers quickly.
1. We don't usually like to use fish or anything living for the cycle. But since you already have the damsels in there, keep a close eye on your ammonia and nitrite. If either starts to get high, you will need to do a partial water change to lower them.
2. Are you compensating for water which as been evaported from the filter/water movement and your fans? If not, thats why you tank is getting low. You need to add fresh rodi water daily, not more saltwater. Check your SG/salinity again.
3.UV sterilizers can be helpful, but you probably don't need to invest in one now. Most of us don't use one.
4. Purple Up is not a good idea.
Hello my name is Alberto, ive been a chef for a bit, my newest hobby is this 14 gallon biocube tank, i recieved it as a bday gift last sat, i added protein skimmer no carbon filter, added live bacteria, 11 lbs of live rock, 3 inches live sand, couple days ago added 4 tiny damsels, now heres my questions, my pump seems to have problems retaining minimum water levels and will start making noise shooting lots of air bubbles back into the water, i tryed adding water and raised the water level in the tank this helped for a bit but now its doing the same thing again, i cant add more water! Another problem i have is when i turn on my lights the fan makes a funny noise once i give a love smack it stops making the noise and hums quietly, whats that about? Also ive noticed a green moss type thing stated to grow on my rocks and now on the sand whats this? And are UV sterilizers helpful enough to invest in? Finally products like purple up a good idea yet?

P.S. how should i go about upgrading? ive read sooo many storys replace bio balls with live rock ruble, cheato algae... but im in california where cheato is banned? Thanks for your time and knowledge in advance!

ouch purple up in a 14g bio, i would do a 50% water change now before something really jumps out and nips you -cyno -sorry "edit" i see you were thinking about purple up. you dont need to use any chemicals at all in your small tank. Periodic 20% water changes bi - weekly with fresh mixed salt water with RO/DI - or Distilled water will provide the correct PH and balance of nutrients for your tank. Good luck

What are you going to do with the 4 "tiny" damsels after the cycle? One damsel in a 14g is to many damsels. The are very aggressive fish and will attack and kill any other fish that you put into your system.
Find out where your bday setup was purchased and call them and ask about the filter and the noisey fan. Your fan may just need to be running for awhile.

damsels are meanies

After five years...I never met a damsel as mean as a Domino or 3 striped Damsel fish,beware they will take over the tank no matter what kind of damsel.

Heyyyyyyyy, it's the Fonz.

At some point you will not beable to add more water, the whole thing will be full. The level in the pump chamber, on the left will always be lower. At some point the level in the tank will just be over the skimmer opening and it will all equalize. Then tomorrow you add RODI water to make up for evap. I find if I don't do it every other day at the least, boom bubbles. I have an 8 gallon, with PC lighting.

The fans suck. I special ordered new 40mm fans for computers. No store stocked that size.

Back
Top Bottom