Nano reef noob (please help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I set up a 10 gallon Nano reef about 3 weeks ago and have some questions

First to avoid some common questions here is my equipment list

-generic 10 gallon glass aquarium
-aquaclear 40 filter
-528 gph Powerbeats
-diy Nano skimmer
-cheap aquarium led strip
-reefsun 50/50 bulb
-diy glass lid
-10lbs dry rock
-0.5lbs live rock
-pool filter sand

(If you can answer any questions even one please do)

First is the lighting going to be able to keep some softies and zoanthids alive

Second, I know, I know, I’m using tap water HOWEVER I live in a town on a bay and are tap water is very clean, also I do filter it to remove copper and suck and after that I use sea Chem prime, is this going to be okay

Third is about stocking l, I really am not going to over stock, one fish, cleanup crew, and a few soft corals, however for the fish I was wondering if I could keep a yellowtail blue damsel (it would be the only fish) or maybe a bangai cardinal.

My last question is about the cleanup crew. I have done quite some research but there are so many mixed opinions and really I have no idea what to do...

With just being an led strip, it could be anything...it might be able to support a low light coral or it might not. Can’t give an opinion without knowing what it is and not all leds are created equal.
As for the water, if you don’t know what’s in it who knows. If the water is nitrate heavy then you’ll always have algae issues in the tank. High enough and the fish will have health issues. Ammonia in it and it’ll burn your fish’s gills.
A damsel would be just fine in the tank. They are hardy and difficult to kill.
For a clean up crew, you don’t need one really if you are on top of your tank maintenance. But snails and hermits will clean things up. Keep in mind that another eating and pooping creature won’t solve parameter issues.

With just being an led strip, it could be anything...it might be able to support a low light coral or it might not. Can’t give an opinion without knowing what it is and not all leds are created equal.
As for the water, if you don’t know what’s in it who knows. If the water is nitrate heavy then you’ll always have algae issues in the tank. High enough and the fish will have health issues. Ammonia in it and it’ll burn your fish’s gills.
A damsel would be just fine in the tank. They are hardy and difficult to kill.
For a clean up crew, you don’t need one really if you are on top of your tank maintenance. But snails and hermits will clean things up. Keep in mind that another eating and pooping creature won’t solve parameter issues.

Hey, first thanks so much for responding in so much detail, I have a few things, first I was talking about the reefsun bulb for lighting, I know that led strip isn’t powerful enough just using it as a moonlight. 2nd of all would I need to feed the snails or no, last thing I’ve been cycling for about 3 weeks and have added flake food like once every three days, when do you think my cycle should be complete.

Here is a pic of my tank :) IMG_0093.jpg

I would start testing the water after the flakes. See if you have 0 ammonia, and every thing else checks out. Then if it does for 2-3 times after adding flakes, your cycles

Are you talking about the par 38 bulb,

I would start testing the water after the flakes. See if you have 0 ammonia, and every thing else checks out. Then if it does for 2-3 times after adding flakes, your cycles

Are you talking about the par 38 bulb,

Thanks here is my bulb IMG_0210.jpg

That 10 watt won't support anything, when I had a nano I had a par 38 54 watt that did very well. Def look into something with higher wattage for corals

That 10 watt won't support anything, when I had a nano I had a par 38 54 watt

Thanks, I thought so, it says on the box it’s perfect for coral in Nano reefs but I also am going to use a way brighter cfl bulb, may I ask what par 38 bulb

A par 38 led bulb is a pretty common light set up for nano reefs, they have great color and grow corals easily. A full spectrum covers all your needs and is great for softies and lps corals

A par 38 led bulb is a pretty common light set up for nano reefs, they have great color and grow corals easily. A full spectrum covers all your needs and is great for softies and lps corals

Yea okay so other then the lighting what do you think about my tap water with corals

Ro/di water is a must with nano tanks, water quality is a must in a nano tank. Espicau with a reef

since you don't have a RO/DI grab a few bottles of distilled water from groc store
would be your best alternative ,

I’m assuming you have a refractometer and TDS meter? Corals aren’t very forgiving when it comes to water quality and salinity.

I’m assuming you have a refractometer and TDS meter? Corals aren’t very forgiving when it comes to water quality and salinity.

Well I have a high end hydrometer but I have had the specific gravity at 1.025 every day other then once 1.026 and once 1.024 but I have maintained it pretty well and while I do not have a tds meter I have my towns water reports and can see everything and how much is in the water

From experience I agree with 54seaweed concerning distilled water. You need a TDS reading of zero before you add your salt mix, which I’m sure your town’s water supply is not. Otherwise I can pretty much guarantee that you are going to have issues, especially with algae. With a 10 gallon, the expense of buying it by the gallon is next to nothing and it is definitely in your best interest.

From experience I agree with 54seaweed concerning distilled water. You need a TDS reading of zero before you add your salt mix, which I’m sure your town’s water supply is not. Otherwise I can pretty much guarantee that you are going to have issues, especially with algae. With a 10 gallon, the expense of buying it by the gallon is next to nothing and it is definitely in your best interest.

Okay thanks for the advice now I have already filled and cycled my tank on tap filtered seachem prime tap water do you think I can start using distilled and then eventually the tap water would be gone (I’m planning also a very hearty stocking list, a few snails a yellow tail damsel, and some zoanthids and maybe some pulsing Xenia

Okay thanks for the advice now I have already filled and cycled my tank on tap filtered seachem prime tap water do you think I can start using distilled and then eventually the tap water would be gone (I’m planning also a very hearty stocking list, a few snails a yellow tail damsel, and some zoanthids and maybe some pulsing Xenia
No, you don't have to feed snails. They usually eat algae and leftover food. I would also do a couple of hermits to clean up leftover food as well or you'll have nitrate spikes. Zoas are good but not sure about pulsing xenias. In my experience a single damsel didn't satisfy me. You could also go with a pair of nano clowns. They have wonderful personalities and mine has been through 2 ich outbreaks​ without a spot and 3 aquariums. I've had them almost a year and they're only an inch and a half.IMG_20170927_195307.jpg

No, you don't have to feed snails. They usually eat algae and leftover food. I would also do a couple of hermits to clean up leftover food as well or you'll have nitrate spikes. Zoas are good but not sure about pulsing xenias. In my experience a single damsel didn't satisfy me. You could also go with a pair of nano clowns. They have wonderful personalities and mine has been through 2 ich outbreaks​ without a spot and 3 aquariums. I've had them almost a year and they're only an inch and a half.View attachment 304572

I would loooove a pair of clowns but I’m worried about spending 70$ (a lot of money for a 14 year old [emoji38]) on fish and then putting them in my tank and have them die [emoji20] however I will definitely do the snails and hermits

I would loooove a pair of clowns but I’m worried about spending 70$ (a lot of money for a 14 year old [emoji38]) on fish and then putting them in my tank and have them die [emoji20] however I will definitely do the snails and hermits
My clowns were $17 each. They're not expensive unless you get a designer clown. My midnight clowns were $100 for the pair and they were aholes. The nano clowns, at least mine, are very sweet and docile.

Back
Top Bottom