need help or info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garza875

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my first 29 gallon saltwater tank four days ago and did my first test, ph ,amonnia and nitrate three are perfect but my nitrate 2 is to the roof high as can be what do I need to do to my tank to bring it down I just put in my live rock yesterday

Typically, you need to do water changes to get nitrate out of the system until you have nitrate controlling microorganisms.

1- Where did you get your rock from? Was it kept wet?
2 - What was your source of water? Tap, RO/DI, Store bought?
If you're using tap water, do a nitrate test on the water straight out of the tap.
3 - Do you have any livestock in the tank?

Answer

1 the wet live rock was purchased at a reputable dealer the
Water was tap will be testing pure water tomorrow no fish just live rock sand and crushed coral is all that i have inside

Live rock won't process nitrates. The bacteria that is built up during the cycling process processes ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates are processed via water changes or exported in methods like algae growth or water changes.
If this is a fresh system, the nitrates had to come in from somewhere. If you aren't using ro/di water, I would suggest doing so as the water source is most likely where the nitrates are coming from at this stage of the game.

I Second what Sniper said. Tap water is not a good source for a saltwater tank. Need to get a RODI unit to produce pure water for your tank. Hope everything turns out ok for you.

Back
Top Bottom