Need Help with Plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riptide

Aquarium Advice Regular
Situation is as follows.... Currently have 55 up and running... Just bought new 150rr.... Want to move stock from 55 to 150 and convert 55 to Refuge for 150. Want the tanks to sit side by side.... Any ideas on plumbing?

I think the easiest way would be to have the 55 sitting a little higher than the 150. Then pump water from the 150 into the 55 and use an external overflow to return water from the fuge to the 150. Unless you can get the side of the 55 drilled...that would be much better.

I agree... I need to check the height of the 150 and see if I have a natural height difference.... I do want to retain the stock stands if possible but may have to modify..

or, since the 150 will probably tower over the puny 55... you could pump water from the 55 into the 150, and then overflow out of the 150 back into the 55.

esp if the 150 is the all-glass / top-fin "Show Tank" that is 48x24x30

OK guys I have decided on a solution..... I am going to use the common sump method, with a slight twist... I have calculated the overflow volume to be 25 gallons +- between the two tanks in the event of a Power loss.... Bought new 37 gallon tank today for sump... Since I want the majority of the overflow from the 55 refuge to enter the 150 and vice versa I have segregated the sump with a metered divider ( the higher the water level on one side, the more is allowed to pass to the other) to eliminate any dualing pump scenario.. I will be overflowing the 55 into the 150 pump side and the 150 will overflow into the 55 pump side... This way I have powerloss protection for both tanks, height is no issue between the two, and I get maximum cross flow between the tanks.... How does this sound?

sounds overly complicated - but hey, whats the point of all those pvc connectors and other goodies if you can't have some fun!

good work

Back
Top Bottom