need some quick help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, I got a pair of true perc clowns and some live rock. They guy has had these clowns in a 5 gallon bucket for like 4 days with the rock and water of course. My tank is only a week old today. I really don't want them to just sit in the bucket.... they have a heater and pump but its not cool to me... I checked my nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia last night and they are as follows...

Nitrate- 5.0

Nitrite-1.5

Ammonia-.5

Can I put these clowns in my tank and get the out of the bucket? Thanks!

Travis

No. Any ammonia will burn the gills of the fish, same as high nitrites. You can keep them in the bucket for a few weeks untill your tank is cycled. think of it as a 5gall nano tank. If I were you I would try and find a 10gal tub or tank and put the rock and water from the bucket in there. Change out 1 gal every week. Then once your main tank is cycled you can put them in there.

No. Any ammonia will burn the gills of the fish, same as high nitrites. You can keep them in the bucket for a few weeks untill your tank is cycled. think of it as a 5gall nano tank. If I were you I would try and find a 10gal tub or tank and put the rock and water from the bucket in there. Change out 1 gal every week. Then once your main tank is cycled you can put them in there.

Ok. I just felt bad having them in the bucket... I have a heater and a air pump. Trying to put an overflow filter would be hard. Is just an airpump and heater ok? There is water movement from the air pump.

You are taking a chance as your cycle is just starting. Do you have another tank, say a 10-gallon, you can use as temp quarters..like a quarrantine tank? It'll be easier to keep up with water changes to keep the ammonia down. Your salinity is just a hair high. During evaporation, salinity will rise so it is better, as far as I have experienced anyway, to add new water at about 1.024.

If you do put them in the display tank, you are going to have to keep up water changes which is going to really slow down your cycling.

Heater, good flow and the rock should be ok. But really try and get a larger "quarantine" tank.

You are taking a chance as your cycle is just starting. Do you have another tank, say a 10-gallon, you can use as temp quarters..like a quarrantine tank? It'll be easier to keep up with water changes to keep the ammonia down. Your salinity is just a hair high. During evaporation, salinity will rise so it is better, as far as I have experienced anyway, to add new water at about 1.024.

If you do put them in the display tank, you are going to have to keep up water changes which is going to really slow down your cycling.

have a 20 gal.... but only about 3 gallons or so in the bucket... I need to try and find a small ten gallon..

help needed

+1 what he said

If you can get a 10 gallon tank use it as a qt tank you might be able to keep then ammonia down with water changes. Keep it bare bottom and if you want to put anything in it maybe just one live rock or a piece of pvc. Test the water at least once a day and always have at 5 gallons of water mixed up and on hand for a quick water change if the ammonia gets high. One of those wally world 10 gallon kits is all you need the filter isn't the greatest but it will provide water movement. They also have those little cheap power heads you can use.

It is always a good idea to have a qt tank that you can use as a hospital tank anyway.

Back
Top Bottom