Need to "Feed" Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

Thanks for all your help this week. My bout with Cyano is just about won..

Now, for the questions....

I was at my LFS and they recomended that I start adding mineral supliments to my tank. They recomended
1-Liquid Calcium
2-Strontium & Molybdenum
3-Iodine
4-Trace Elements

I picked up a small Kent Kit that includes items 1-3.

Is this necessary for a FOWLR. Once the tank matures, I may develop this into a small reef....I will admit that the tank has never looked better

Second, will NO2 ever get down complete to 0

Amonia -0
Nitrite- reading between 0-.25ppm (Saltwater master test kit-its a little hard to read)
Nitrate-5ppm

Tank is about 3 weeks old, stocked with 1 damsel.

Tank specs-
37G Jebo
25lbs LR-plan to add 10lbs more in the next month
20lbs LS
Currently 1-55w CPF (I took the other light out during my battle with Cyano)
No Skimmer
15x flow with 2 powerheads-plan to add another to increase to 25x when I decide if I really want a small reef

Thanks...

John

There is absolutly no need to add suplments to your tank. At this point the only thing you will do is feed your cyano and put money in your LFS's pockets.

Even the basic reef does not need suplements unless you forgo regular water changes.

If its a FOWLR then a good salt mix is enough. I have Kent and I wont look back. Theres really no point in buying supplements.

As with your trites, bring a sample to your lfs to get the reading double checked.

Just save you money for really good lights or some coral in your going reef

Sounds like the LFS want to make some extra $$$
I have a fowlr and have never added anything and I have tons of coraline algae on the LR. If you do go reef then you first need to buy test kits for what ever you plan on adding. NEVER add anything to the tank unless you test first, adding too much of something can harm the tank.
If your looking for coraline and your not getting it, first test for calcium and alkalinity and if there not in the proper range then you can add suppliments as needed.

Well if you are planning to do a reef later on then I suggest the book The Coral Reef Aquarium by Ron shimek. It is really good and to the point. The only supplement that is need are forms of calcium. All of the other stuff like iodine and magnesium and everything hasn't ACTUALLY been proven even necessary and it is easy to overdose. Water changes are you best bet. 0X

Like everyone has said, water changes are all you need with a fish only tank. The supplemental minerals and elements are already in the salt.

Back
Top Bottom