New Crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to add a small clean up crew to my 40 gal SW tank. Right now I've got 40lbs of LR, 2 Perc Clowns, a 4 assorted Damsels. I was thinking of a couple of emerald crabs but I'm not sure what effect they will have on my existing fish and future, long ways down the road, coral? How large will they get and what problems can I anticipate with them. Any other clean up critters that anyone can suggest?

Thanks

A lot of people avoid crabs because they can become nasty and pick on snails, fish and corals. They are strong little creatures and can knock stuff over while searching for food.

I've only owned one emerald crab and two red scarlet reef hermits. My emerald avoided bubble algae and ate coraline algae and other algae, left my corals alone. Emerald crab was is about the size of $quarter.

My red scarlet hermits have been model citizens and haven't jacked any snails for their shells. Mine are small and maybe the size of a $nickle.

Emeralds are supposed to be good algae eaters. I have about 70 assorted red and blue leg hermits with about 70 assorted snails and have never had any problems with aggression, bull-in-china-shop syndrome or eating of coral and fish.

Back
Top Bottom