New guy with two tanks to share *Journal* **SEVERAL PICS***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marve467

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey how is everybody doing? My roomate and I are upgrading our fish tank situation and i have been reading here and figured it would be a good thing to show my progress.
We have a 55 gallon FOWLR and just purchased a 150 gallon tank. Both are acrylic and the 55 is pre drilled with one inch holes while the 150 is not drilled. We plan on changing the 55 to a reef tank and the 150 to a predator tank.
Okay so we have cycled the 150 and everything is all good. Presently we have two damsels in there with 10 blue leg hermit crabs and 5 snails and 5 of the snails that look like slugs and two chocolate chip star fish. There is a hang on the back filter and a decent sized protein skimmer. We only have about 15 pounds of LR but we have about 60 pounds of the live sand stuff you can buy at petco. The tank is a little on the cool side at ranging between 72 and 78 degrees. We have a 400 gph powerhead circulating the water as well as a proteim skimmer and a filter.
The 55 gallon presently has a 5 inch picasso trigger a 4 inch puffer a 4 inch rabbit fish and a snowflake eel around 15 inches. We want to transfer all the fish over as well as around 40 more pounds of live rock. What do you guys reccomend i do to transfer them? One every three days or two every friday or what? Everything seems really healthy including the fish.
Once everything is transfered over we will be draining the 55 gallon and polishing all the scratches. I will then recycle the tank and turn it into a reef. The one inch holes can handle 400 gph. I will be using a 30 gallon sump/refugium. The return pump attached to two returns that ripple the surface. I plan on adding a 400 gph powerhead inside the tank. Do you guys think this will be enough flow?
Okay now looking to the future once the tank is cycled via the dead shrimp method i plan on adding 50 pounds of live rock with about 40 or so of base. I want to add around 50 hermit crabs then probobly 20 snails. Do you guys think this will be too many crabs? I am unsure what i plan on adding to the tank on top of corals an anenome and invertebrates. I want one "main attraction" fish. Coming from the FOWLR community i do not know much about reef compatibility. If i was to leave a decent size sand area open would a sting ray be out of the question? Also are there any eels that are reef safe?

Well that is all i will type for now. I will throw some pics up here to show you guys my setup. I look forward to the knowledge and help im sure you guys will share.

Thank you
marve467

Re: New guy with two tanks to share *Journal*

marve467 said:
I want to add around 50 hermit crabs then probobly 20 snails. Do you guys think this will be too many crabs?

At the begining it will be as you wont have that much waste in the tank and they`ll most likely eat each other. I would start off with maybe 10 at the begining. Also the Sting ray is definitely out of the question. By the way Welcome to AA

Keep the chocolate chip starfish out of the reef tank, they like to eat corals.

You may be better off going with multiple smaller powerheads in the tank instead of one larger one. That way you can creat different flow areas and direct flow to different parts of the tank.

Unfortanelty, most of your "main attraction fish" are not reef safe. Of course, this isn't always the deal, but most are hit or miss. Tangs are a hardier fish that grow larger, but they do need their fair share of care as well, so definitley research a species before you get it.

Stingrays are one of thsoe things better left in the ocean. If you really wanted one, you'd need atleast 300 gallons, no liverock, and no other fish.

Finally, I'm no eel expert, but I believe most all are reef safe, you just need to take care in attaching the components of your reef to the rock securely, because they will get knocked down by the eels.

HTH, and welcome to AA.

I have never kept one so I have no personal experience but from what I have heard from other people the snowflake will eat any small fish as well as inverts.

I think it is fine with some corals but I do not think it is a good reef safe candidate.

Thank you guys for the help so far. The chocolate chips will be in the 150 FOWLR tank

I plan on having a two or three high end shimp so i guess the eel is out of the question for the reef.

Here are some pics of the tanks. A stand is currently being built for the 150 im sure some of you know how difficult it can be. What do you guys think i should do as far as transferring the fish over from the 55 to the 155? Here are pics to give you guys some ideas.

Attachments

• fish_002__small__296.jpg
    fish_002__small__296.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 20
  • fish_005__small__211.jpg
    fish_005__small__211.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 35
  • fish_007__small__464.jpg
    fish_007__small__464.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 18
  • fish_011__small__944.jpg
    fish_011__small__944.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 22
Man that looks scary. :) Be safe around that tank! Good thing it's acrylic too, a glass tank would have shattered already. As for transferring the fish, plastic containers shoud work of some sort. I have used a 2 gallon bucket for a friends oscar before and it worked pretty well.

You are going to have to take the tank apart anyway to get the stand in there anyway. By the way, I would hurry and get that stand as quick as possible. One broken block and it`s all over. Hope all goes well.

okay we just picked up some super cheap super quality live rock. It has growth all over it and I took some pics to share. Ignore the orange hue its from my digital camera. There are several wide things that close up when disturbed. Can anybody identify these?

Second and third picture^

Also there is a weird thing that looks similar to a cacoon. What is this?
First picture ^

This is so much fun, every time I look at the tank there is something new. The first things picture have atleast doubles in size in about 3 days.

Attachments

• fish_022__small__676.jpg
    fish_022__small__676.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 123
  • fish_017__small__171.jpg
    fish_017__small__171.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 21
  • fish_025__small__121.jpg
    fish_025__small__121.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 125
Thing #1 is a sponge, it looks like.
Thing(s) 2 and 3 look like a mushroom coral, but they don't close up when disturbed, atleast mine don't. Sooo, maybe a majano anemone?

Regardless, rock looks great with lots of life!

i dont think they could be anenomes. There are like 8 and there growing like crazy. Sponge hopefully this is so cool and this is in our FOWLR tank. funny.

Back
Top Bottom