New skimmer and tiny bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a new skimmer, a sea clone 100 (i know, i cheaped out, lol) and It's been running for maybe 8 hours now. It's putting tiny bubbles in my tank that looks like fog.

I read the instruction manual and it said that's caused by an organic additive like a slime coat enhancer or water conditioner, which I have used almost a week ago. It said that it should stop in a week or so.

Is there anything i can do to stop the bubbles sooner? I'd like to still be able to use the water conditioner.

Skimmers normally go through a "break in period" for about a week where they create microbubbles. However, continual use of certain water conditioners with those slime coat enhancers, will cause constant problems with microbubbles.

Why do you use the water conditioner? Tap water? If so, just try to find just a straight dechlorinator without all the other stuff. The fish don't really need it.

I was having a similar problem with my seaclone. I recently switched from aquasafe to prime and with a lot of fine tuning microbubbles are mostly gone. It seemed to take forever to break in but now it pulls out quite a bit of gunk

Back
Top Bottom