New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I read further up? You think I commented without reading the thread? To save you the time of contemplating that, yes I read, yes I saw he has a 65, that tank is not 150 gallons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not gunna argue, lol. It's the exact tank as the other three I posted... but agree to disagree I guess.

Not gunna argue, lol. It's the exact tank as the other three I posted... but agree to disagree I guess.

The tank's you posted are larger, look at the pic again, that tank looks 24 inches deep to you? I'm not sure it's over 12", at best it's 18". Eh agree to disagree sure, just wanted you to know I read the thread, I also know how bad people are with theoretical tank measurements.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

tomorrow I'm going to measure it for myself to see. I hope the guy didn't really screw up the numbers that much

tomorrow I'm going to measure it for myself to see. I hope the guy didn't really screw up the numbers that much

Cool, looking forward to seeing the results. I'm like you, I know people are bad guessers at dimensions sometimes but not 121 gallons bad. He has my faith, I say his measurements exact or very close from pic.

I said to do an overflow becaus you will need somewhere to put a skimmer. A hob skimmer just isn't going to get the job done in a tank that suze

I said to do an overflow becaus you will need somewhere to put a skimmer. A hob skimmer just isn't going to get the job done in a tank that suze

I agree if it turns out to be a 100 gallons or more sump would be best. And for $150 it would be worth paying someone a few added dollars to drill it if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

So I just measured it. It's 4' 2" length 2' 2" width and 2' 7" depth

Do you think a overflow box hanging will work or drill onlu for the overflow?

Do you think a overflow box hanging will work or drill onlu for the overflow?

Either will work, but in the long run you would be best to drill it. $1 a gallon for a large non leaking tank like that is a steal, I would search around your local fish clubs and find someone who has a ton of experience drilling tanks and setting up sumps even if you pay them $100 to do it it's worth it for not risking cracking it.

Again you can make it work either way but I think down the road you will wish you drilled it, and it will be a pain to do it after you have an established tank. No wrong answer really...

Yeah I'm just not to familiar with the whole sump setup yet so I'm not to sure how it all really works. I guess I have to do research

Yeah I'm just not to familiar with the whole sump setup yet so I'm not to sure how it all really works. I guess I have to do research

This vid was helpful to me whenI was researching. I'm about to activate my first sump today so I'm certainly know expert. The hob overflow versus drilled really doesn't affect the sump design, I just think the drilled takes the siphon out of the equation which makes it more reliable and less of a pain long term. However I've seen some pretty impressive Sumps running on a siphon too.

https://youtu.be/8sfSD86QHAg

That's a good video for sure. I agree with bubba, drilling is better in the long term.

So most people put two holes in the overflow or is it one for the drain and one for the return?

One for drain and one for return. However I just have one hole in my tank and run the return over the top.

That seems like the easiest thing for me. I saw I can buy a kit for like 50

And I notice some tanks have to overflows is that recommended or is one fine?

And I notice some tanks have to overflows is that recommended or is one fine?

My 180 has four holes two 1" drains and two 1" returns. Advantage being it has a backup drain in the event the main 1" clogs and having the two outputs helps divide out the flow back to turn over more water without blowing away plants or smaller fish

I will look idk if I want to drill 4 hours into the tank. I'm guessing just one will be okay for the drain and a overhang for the return but I'm guessing 2 for the drain and 2 returns overhang will be okay

I will look idk if I want to drill 4 hours into the tank. I'm guessing just one will be okay for the drain and a overhang for the return but I'm guessing 2 for the drain and 2 returns overhang will be okay

Yeah it's totally up to you, mine happened to be drilled already off Craigslist or I probably would have done the same. Two for drain and return or even one for drain would work fine.

Back
Top Bottom