Niger Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an 85 gallon custom built reef tank, could I keep a Niger Trigger in my tank. If so what is the care level?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh and anyone who has experience, do they mess with any of your other fish?

I was snorkling in February and there was a good 16 inch niger trigger in the reef. It was awesome! This doesn't answer your question but you just reminded me of coming face to face with one in the wild.

You will probably need to rehome it as they grow pretty large. Fish only preferred, as they are questionable when it comes to a captive reef. Neat fish. They can either be bullies or wimps. They are each different.

You will probably need to rehome it as they grow pretty large. Fish only preferred, as they are questionable when it comes to a captive reef. Neat fish. They can either be bullies or wimps. They are each different.

I haven't got one yet I now probably won't get one, is there any type of trigger that I possibly could keep in my tank?

You could not keep that trigger with any inverts blue jaws are basically the only type of truly reef safe trigger and I think they would get too big

-The Reeffantic ??

The nigers and blue throats are basically the exact same when it comes to being reef safe. The nigers do need a larger tank than what you have though.

Personally, I plan on getting a small one as my lfs just got some very small ones in and then rehoming it when it hits the 8" mark if I haven't upgraded to a 6' tank by then.

The nigers and blue throats are basically the exact same when it comes to being reef safe. The nigers do need a larger tank than what you have though.

Personally, I plan on getting a small one as my lfs just got some very small ones in and then rehoming it when it hits the 8" mark if I haven't upgraded to a 6' tank by then.

What size tank do you have? My plan was to rehome it after it outgrew my tank.

What size tank do you have? My plan was to rehome it after it outgrew my tank.

It's a 90g. 8" is about the size that blue throats get to and they are suitable for a 90g. I figured that's a reasonable size to limit it to. I would advise a blue throat over a Niger though. The blue throats are just harder for me to find here in Michigan.

They are a special needs fish. They need some foods in shell to keep their teeth worn down. I had a wonderful blue throat for several years that one day began to hide and staved himself to death for no obvious reason. They also like to jump as Dary can tell you.

But on the plus side, one of the few fish that can swim backwards. My 12" engineer goby can duplicate that trick, but triggers have mastered reverse.

They are dog like. They watch you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom