Occellaris clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
We just got a pair of occellaris clowns - 1st fish in our 55 gallon tank. They have sort of "dug" an area of the sand out in the back corner of the tank. Every morning we find them there sleeping, if that's what clownfish do. I was wondering if this was normal behavior?? Also, we have pellets for them to eat.. They are sinking pellets though and aren't too crazy about them. They'll catch them as they fall but then spit them back out. Sometimes will try to eat them off the sand but usually gets sand in their mouths and decide not to eat. Any suggestions?? Otherwise they are doing great, swimming around all over!!

We just got a pair of occellaris clowns - 1st fish in our 55 gallon tank. They have sort of "dug" an area of the sand out in the back corner of the tank. Every morning we find them there sleeping, if that's what clownfish do. I was wondering if this was normal behavior?? Also, we have pellets for them to eat.. They are sinking pellets though and aren't too crazy about them. They'll catch them as they fall but then spit them back out. Sometimes will try to eat them off the sand but usually gets sand in their mouths and decide not to eat. Any suggestions?? Otherwise they are doing great, swimming around all over!!

Sounds like typical clowns! Mine sleep upside down in the top left corner of my tank. Try and get a smaller pellet, if they spit it out it is most likely they cannot swallow it. You can also feed frozen food like mysis shrimp every now and then to vary their diet.

The pellets are really tiny. I didn't know if they would eat seaweed?

The pellets are really tiny. I didn't know if they would eat seaweed?

Hmm just give them time since they just got introduced. Mine are pigs. From my experience they will not eat seaweed, well my black one tries to steal it from my blenny but he doesn't actually eat it.

Ok. I was just afraid they would die of starvation.

My little clown used to eat seaweed that put in for flame angle but he died so don't bother putting in anymore but my clowns eat anything I put in but have trouble with pellets do have to target feed to them as only eat them when they sink

Just an update-- I found that the pellets were too big for them to eat. Actually switched them to a 0.5mm pellet and they like it!! Also, go crazy over their brine shrimp treats in the afternoon!!! Cute little guys to watch!!

Back
Top Bottom