Oceanic salt low ph problem & stressed fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I just mixed the last of that Oceanic bucket. I remember having low pH earlier in the bucket, like 7.9 -8.0.

I already ordered a bucket of Kent based on your numbers. It seems better balanced.

I've always liked it's consistancey, I hope it works as well for you! 8)

Cheers
Steve

OK, I finally picked up Ca & Alk tests. Here is what I am coming up with from the dreaded Oceanic salt mix, mixed 24hrs:
Ca ~ 500
Alk ~ 6 dkh - yikes! yes I am sure it is dkh, not meg/l !
PH ~ 7.9
sg ~ 1.025
temp ~ 78

I then added some Kent super buffer dkh (2 tsp):
Ca ~ 500
Alk ~ 12 dkh
PH ~ 8.2 (same as tank)

Is this adequate or should I buffer some more before adding water? Should I expect more PH swings? Thanks...

Ca is still a bit high but your much better off than before you tweeked the alk. I would leave it be for now.

As for the pH, the buffer should help the stability but not ever using Oceanic myself it's hard to say for sure.

Thos eare some nasty numbers 8O

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the speedy reply, Steve. I assumed all was well with Oceanic and just mixed it overnight and added it. The scary thing is thousands of other folks probably do the same thing! I don't think I will buy this again once finished. The lfs would not return the open salt bucket, so I am sending an email (with these nasty findings) to Oceanic cust. service. I will update when I get a reply...

OK, I sent Oceanic the water parameters and asked for a refund. I got this response:

"Thank you for your email, and your interest in Oceanic products. At a specific gravity of 1.021 – 1.023 Oceanic sea salt yields calcium concentrations of 420 – 480 ppm which are comparable to natural sea water. While some reef tank aquarist's prefer to maintain their tanks at a specific gravity of 1.025 or greater, this high specific gravity with Oceanic Sea Salt results in calcium levels that can exceed 550 ppm that can disturb the delicate carbonate/bicarbonate equilibrium causing pH fluctuations. For a reef tank, we recommend Oceanic salt be used at 1.024 specific gravity, which should yield high calcium and magnesium levels without causing hardness and pH imbalance. Here are some suggestions from our scientist who formulated our salt for aquarist who feel it is necessary to run their tanks at a higher specific gravity.

1) Mix Oceanic salt to sg 1.023. to this slowly add and completely dissolve solid analytical reagent grade sodium chloride to desired sg. This procedure will increase sg without effecting calcium and magnesium levels.

2) Mix Oceanic salt to sg 1.023 – 1.025. Before adding to tank, treat with dKh hardness buffer to attain dKh of 5-7. Add gradually to tank after solution has equilibrated. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. "

Translation = we didn't do our homework properly. :p

Interesting response though, even if public relations oriented. I would be interested to know if it's true. AFAIK, it shouldn't make much difference between an SG of 1.023-1.025, at least not that drastic. 1.021-1.025 would show a difference but again, not that drastic. IMO, I think their blowing smoke....

Cheers
Steve

Translation = we didn't do our homework properly.

Bingo! I guess I'll have to continue with step 2 for a while!

captivereefs, you said you have been using this salt for some time...are you coming up with better numbers than me? I wonder if they have changed the blend and I have an "early blend"?

i bought a bunch when it first came out and i still have that batch. My Ca was always about 460 with a SG of 1.025 with an alk of about 10 DKH and a PH of 8.0. Not sure if it was an old batch or what? I will get some more and definately check it out.

After reading this, I had to test mine. I had a 90 gal container that I had been using but bought a 200 gal bucket in December from a LFS that just started carrying Oceanic.

My test was done from the salt from the 200 gal bucket and the water has been aerating for 4 days.

SG 1.025
alk 3 meg/L
CA 445
PH 8.1

This was with my Seachem test kit for both

Back
Top Bottom