pH results need Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I have been checking my tank and lately it seems as though the pH is at 8.0 constant.. I drip about 1gal of kalk per night which is mixed 1tsp pickling lime to 1 gal of ro/di.. Should I do anything to try and bring the pH up or just leave it at 8.0 and if so what?? I know its on the safe side but its also on the low side... I have not tested first thing in the morning for pH values but will be doing so tomorrow morning.. Any Advise???

My tank Readings are as follows
Temp 80
pH 8.0
alk 3.89meq/l
Ca 425
salinity 1.025
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ammonia 0

TIA,
James

Yeah, I agree with Kevin about getting another test kit to check that with. If you are dripping Kalk and have an Alk reading of ~11dKH, your pH should be a little higher than that.

Do you run your sump and tank with the cover on or off? This would help with gas exchange which will remove Co2 from the system. Surface agitation will also help remove excess Co2.

I have verified the Reading via the Seachems Reference.. The Reference tests as normal..

James

Ok I will move the 2 powerheads in the tank closer to the surface and test tomorrow to see if it helps.. It seems as though my pH is steady at 8.0 both before the lights come on and just before the lights go off in the evening..

Thx Guys,
James

You have a sump? You could stick a fan over it. That would help with gas exchange. Keep in mind that it will also cool the heck out of the aquarium as well as make it evaporate water faster.

I do have a sump.. I will try to place a fan blowing on the sump as well... I hope that it helps..

Thanks Again,
James

Ok so I placed a Dual fan over my sump for about 5hrs as well as moved all the PHs towards the top and then tested pH again and it still reads 8.0 Should I not worry about it since it doesnt seem to deviate from this point...

TIA,
James

I wouldn't worry about it, but it could simply be the CO2 content in the room. Have you opened a window near the tank?

Yeah My tank is right next to a sliding Glass door which is usually open when I am home.. Lets the fresh air into the house... I am just thinking that I will just monitor it a bit.. Nothing seems to be hurting or looking bad.. I know with water changes it should come up good.. I have a water Change I plan on doing tomorrow so we will see..

Thanks Again,
James

Take your next PH reading and drop some straight kalk into the vial. If it doesn't go off the scale on contact - get a different test kit. Doesn't matter what your reference says - all kits are fallible. This may seem petty, but you are correct in lifting an eyebrow at the PH.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing CO2 in a living room at typical atmospheric pressure could alter the Ph in a tank that being dosed with kalk.

FWIW my test kit is a brand new Seachem test kit w/Reference.. I am very comfortable with Seachem and believe it to be highly accurate.. I Started to use Kent Seasalts a while ago and I believe that is what has caused the pH to go from its normal 8.2ish.. I am getting a different brand of salt within the week.. And going to go from there..

James

FWIW, I have had the same issue using a seachem test kit? My pH was also at a steady 8.2, until recently when it dropped to 8.0, night and day no difference. I removed my tank lid, opened windows, fans, etc. no change. I may have to try a different test kit, who knows maybe exposing the pH reagent to air quite a few times changes results :?: How long has your tank been running cj, just curious? Mine has since July 1st.

my tank is about 3-4 months old at this point.. I believe my issue is due to the salt as previously stated.. The reference is Brand New stright from the Seachem along with the Reagent.. At 8.0 I don't think its a bad thing but I plan to watch mine a bit more closely and make sure thats as far as it drops..

James

Back
Top Bottom