Poisionous gas from Zoanthids + boiling water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yes, zoas do contain these poisons. As long as you don't:
-Swallow it
-Get it in your eye
-Allow to enter a cut
- into any other opening
You should be fine. They are only released when you frag them. That's why it is important to where goggles and gloves.

On this note, a story of what I like to tell when this topic pokes up.

One time I was fragging some radioactive dragon eye zoas of mine when I absentmindedly picked a piece of hair off my tongue. My entire mouth went numb for about 10 minutes. It was a little scary, no lies.

They are no joke. Some are extremely sensitive to the toxins. And it's hard to tell the "hot ones" from less lethal varieties. So you should be cautious when handling any of them.

Reading this article it also states that the poison can enter intact skin and appropriate gloves should be worn when placing your hands in saltwater tanks. Are there special gloves that people are wearing? I have only worn new kitchen gloves when moving rocks incase bristle worms stung me however try not to wear them as not sure what type of chemicals are in them.

Well, wearing gloves mostly comes from the idea of soap and other chemicals that have been on your in hands getting into the tank. I just use organic disposable gloves.

I never wear gloves but one time I was messing around with the rock scape and moved a zoa rock and a frogspawn colony, had a small cut on my hand and out of no where it started burning really bad- like I touched a stove! Not sure if it was the zoas or the euphilia but I'll tell you it was quite a shock. I ran it under the faucet and it went away after five minutes... Always say I'm going to get gloves and still have not.

it is advised you never boil live rock- could be a hitchhiker in there

Thanks. I'll look for organic gloves and particularly watch my frogspawn and zoas. To think I have been freely playing around with the location of my corals without a worry in the world if I had no cuts....oops.

So here's a fun story for you tank owners, sorry if it's a bit of a long one.

Last year I was moving some live rock around in my 90g and 20g. I always wear latex or nitrile gloves when I do this, as a close friend once got a terrible infection from scraping an open cut he had on his hand against some live rock in a clients tank. During this rock moving I sliced open a small chunk of my forefinger. Not a big deal, I washed it and sanitized it, then superglued it closed and went back to a scaping. Fast forward to work the next day and my thumb (different finger from the previous cut) was a little swollen. Turns out i had a hang nail when I was "tanking." Now I work with a lot of nurses, and both of my parents and my girlfriend are nurses, so I can say to my own satisfaction that there is nothing better I could have done. Washing my hands with antibacterial soap, sanitizing with iodine, hydrogen peroxide, and rubbing alcohol (the 90% kind). The nurse at work said keep it covered, and put some neosporin on it. I joked that if it didn't get better when did she think I should go to the hospital. When there's a red line up my arm right? We laughed it off and I went back to work. Then, around 5 hours latter, there's that red line snaking out from under my bandaid.

First thing I did was call my close friend's mom from before, she owns are local fish store and is kind of like a surrogate mom to me, and for a little while my boss. So she says "s*** uh.oh..., you have a problem." See, what happened with her son was pretty simple. Bacteria from the tank gets in the cut, infection spreads. But hospitals don't always listen to us when we say "Hey I've got a fish tank and this is probably flesh eating bacteria." They say, "no that's obviously blah blah blah take 2 asprin and call me in the morning." so, my friend ended up having to argue with three different doctors, mean while taking antibiotics that didn't work, until his whole arm was infected. Eventually they contacted our local hand surgeon, who lansed the arm, drained the infection, and got him on some doxicyclin. So, what she tells me is: "go to the emergency room now. When they give you a prescription that isn't doxi, give it back and tell them this is what you need. Here is the phone number of the hand surgeon, tell them to call him. Tell them to call me, just don't leave without the right meds , otherwise you're looking at a 7k bill in the end.

So I go, with my gf, and in the hospital I'm getting checked in, and the nurses and all saying, "oh yeah, I know you're mom, she works in the OR." Its a small town here. Through the rigamaroll and I'm waiting for the PA to come in to my room and a nurse walks in. He looks at my thumb and says "oh yeah you've got an infection there." I say "yeah, it doesn't hurt much, but I'd really like to keep my thumb. I need it to drink coffee." the nurse laughs and wonders off, and my PA comes in. He's a nice young man, and i tell him I need the doxi, and it's from my salt water tank. He listens, does the whole scale of pain, pokes and prods and then leaves to do some research. Meanwhile the male nurse comes back, followed by the PA. "So I've done some research, and i'm going to put you on 400mg twice a day of (I forget), for the staff, and 2000mg a day (some form of doxicyclin). Here's your first dose," hands me a golf ball to sallow, "and you need to come back in the morning to see if that red line is going away. If it hasn't then we'll try something else." the nurse is kind of dumb founded, and gives an uneasy laugh, saying "you weren't kidding about your thumb." I reply with a terse smile and a clipped "Nope."

I didn't need to go back, everything cleared up nicely. Turns out doxicyclin is the most water-soluble antibiotic. Makes sense, as this bacteria comes from the water. Most cases of flesh eating bacteria come from sources of water as well, usually stagnat Lake bottoms or ponds. Moral of my story is this. Gloves are great, but they need to block out all the water. If water gets in and just sits against a cut you're asking for trouble. Exposure for that long is how this stuff gets in. Buy gloves that go up past your shoulders. Or, if you're like me, just keep your hands out of your tank!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1398525658436.jpg
    1398525658436.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 118
If you live near farming communities, you can get a "preg testing" glove from a large animal vet. My vet gave it to me free of charge when I told him what it was for.

The problem can be that you don't know you're sensitive until it's too late. Many people like myself seem to not have much sensitivity to coral toxins because of skin thickness or other factors. But my wife is the exact opposite.

When I use to take people on dives acting as Divemaster, I was always cautious when taking divers into coral gardens. First, I wanted to be sure they had accurate buoyancy control so they didn't go bouncing along destroying corals as they swam. Then, I asked them to not dive in gloves. Sounds counterproductive, but when they had gloves on, they didn't hesitate to hold onto rocks for stability and even touch corals. Without gloves, they touched very little, which was a good thing. But most everyone if diving near coral wore a protective skin or thin wetsuit, as there are a billion things in the sea that sting, eat or poison people.

We also had several tame Nassau groupers, some the size of a suitcase. People loved to pet them and they seemed to like it. It was far easier on their slime coats if you petted them with bare hands, so that was the rule.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses. Uh Oh...what an amazing and terrifying recount! I didn't realise there could be flesh eating bacteria in our beautiful tanks ???? I have my hands in there everyday while feeding! Monkey Monk86- thanks so much for the links. I have started setting up an account with Amazon-hopefully they deliver to Australia as I haven't reached the address info yet. GregCoyote- makes sense. I know when I am o'seas and snorkel I dont touch anything however just recalled recently while in Thailand, sea walking off Maya Island, the instructor actually grabbed my hand to touch a large anemone on a rock. I thought nothing of it except that it was not new to me as I had them in my tank ( at the time):whistle:

Back
Top Bottom