Potein Skimmer oversize question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjohnston

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an aqua medic Turboflotor Skimmer that can handle up to 500 Gal.
I'm using it on a 210 gal tank. The unit works well but I'm concerned that I may be over skimming if that's possible. Could I skimming all the nutrients and trace elements out of the water before they can be used by the tank?
Should I run the skimmer less than 24/7 to address this concern?

This is a 6 month old reef tank with both fish and coral alive and appear heathy although the coral have not shown any growth yet.

Overskimming is possible, but IMO, the better ur skimmer, the bigger bioload ur tank can handle. U can simply refill ur trace elements by performing more frequent WC's or adding additives IF u think ur skimmer is skimming too much.

If this makes u feel any better, im running a skimmer rated for 125G in my 29G ;) No problem so far. I perform 5G WC per 2 or 3 weeks. My Ca level is always 350+. HTH

I have the same skimmer on my 100 gallon. I just messed with the controls to get a really dry foam, I guess I am only skimming a cup a month total. I have had no problems for the past year using this on my tank, and I have an overloaded tank. Oh, and I would not trust those ratings on any of those skimmers - think of them more as guide-lines, as our trubofloater may be fine for one guy's 500gallon, but not the next due to many, many different factors.

Back
Top Bottom