Power cut!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The dreaded power cut situation........

A fried of mine rang me this morning telling me how he'd slept at his girlfriends house that night and woke up to no power! Something had tripped the electricity board. Her tank was fairly new and she only had the one fish, a regal tang, which was flopped on its side and breathing heavily. He reacted immediately and took the fish out of the tank. Luckily he lived just around the corner and he has a marine aquarium in which he placed the fish. I'm happy to report the fish is doing fine however had they not have been there it would have died. Imagine this being you beloved reef or FOWLR with hundreds or thousands of pounds/dollars spent and to be left there festering.

What have you done to prevent this? Back up generator? Back up battery pack? NOTHING?

Looking for ideas? There was another thread here started the other day on this very subject.

It's good people are talking about this because I think it's something that can easily be overlooked.

Personally I've gone with Ecotech pumps which can be rigged up to a battery backup so that will be my next purchase!

Any system can have a battery backup. My eventual plan is to either sting a couple together or have one going with a car battery with an inverter to hook it up to for longer term. Generators also work, but have to be there.

I have to agree that this is an area where way too many of us hobbyists overlook. The next tank upgrade i do (in jan.) will consist of an apex controller (which can be programmed for power loss mode) and either a gen specifically for the tank, or some form of a UPS (uninterrupted power supply). Best place to start looking is computer equipment. UPS is a fairly common piece of equipment on gaming computers. Also i have started my switch to jebao powerheads, so i could run them at 25-30% for a 10-15 seconds every minute... Which would help conserve power

Back
Top Bottom