Protien Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsnuff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will a Skimmer help me lower my Nitrates? If so, are there any suggestions on which one to buy. I would like to get a good one that will not need to be replaced every year. Thanks and have a great weekend.

I have had good luck with a berlin classic skimmer in the past, I would use it with a mag-drive 7. I am intrigued by the turbo skimmers and have heard good things about them. Other skimmers I would recommend would be an appropriately sized Euro-Reef skimmer (check Marine Depot), and the Aqua-C skimmers.

I like the Red Sea Berlin. The Aqua C Remora Pro would probably be a good one also. My choice would be the Berlin with a Mag 7 though.

I've used ETS, aquamedic, red sea berlin and prizm pro, seaclones :oops: , excaliburs, and Euroreefs. Out of those my favorite by far has been the Euroreef, and its what I'm using on all my tanks now. They are excellent build quality, easy to setup and clean, easy to adjust, and produce a consistent skimmate without having to constantly tinker with anything.

Doing tanks for 5 years along with a marine tank setup/maintenance business. Seen it all I would stay away from prizm, to finicky. Sea clone is cheap garbage. Precision marine not bad but air adjustment can get sensitive,Red Sea is good but in mine and many others opinion the Aqua C Remora pro with mag drive and the skimmer box is arguably the best, as far as HOT Units. very small, very powerful, a child could set it up. Figure $ 275.00 complete with box and mag, free shipping. Lowest I have seen so far is at inlandreef.net, unless someone else has seen a better deal.

I am a little confused about the sump question earlier. I have a SeaLife model 100 wet/dry filter. Is this the same as a sump? Can I install the Protien skimmer in there? Thanks for the help.

Not sure why everyone looks down on the seaclone. I've been running one for a few months and it works fine. It comes with a maxi-jet powerhead and the rest is plastic like all the other skimmers - so I'm not sure why it's "cheap garbage". If you have an unlimited budget then I would say go ahead for the expensive ones @ $250 and up, but I can recommend the seaclone if you have a limited budget and 75gal or less tank.

I'd have to agree with the above post on the SeaClone. JMHO. I think, for what they are, they work pretty well. They are nowhere near the equal of the Berlin or Aqua C of course, but they're a lot cheaper also. I added one to my puffer tank and almost immediately saw a huge increase in water clarity and a drop in algae growth. If you have room in the wet/dry, you can run...should run...the skimmer in there. Aqua C makes an in sump model called the Urchin that you might want to look at.

Ya i agree with that ... The seaclone is a great and cheap skimmer in the market.
Got a seaclone 150 . Fix into my sump and within one day it started to skim... very impressive.

I have the Aqua C Remora and have had it for a month now.. I would HIGHLY recommend it.. I noticed the quality and algae decline rapidly.. Very Easy to setup as well as easy to clean.. The Urchin is the same thing as the Remora except for the bottom.. It has FEET so that is can be stable in the sump.. Captiveraisedcorals.com I believe is what it is has a special going on for the Aqua c's You might want to check the sponsors forum for information on that as I dont know if it includes the urchin.. I would go with the Pro version for sure as well as have a drain installed on it when its purchased... I made the mistake of not doing either... You can also check MarineDepot.com as they have them there as well.. Aqua C is very helpful when emailing them questions... I do not work for Aqua C nor Am i affiliated with them in any way this is pure personal experience..

HTH,
James

Back
Top Bottom