pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up my 125 (or 150), depends on whether I trust the caculator or not. :roll: . anyway, I want to make my 29 gal a sump. I have an overflow coming, and I would like to know how I figure out what size pump to get. I am planning on going with the maxijet, but don't know how to figure out just which one to get, I can tell that it's going to have to push water about 5 to 6 ft straight up. TIA

How much water can your overflow drain to your sump? If you know that plus how high the pump will have to push the water we can help you figure out the best sized pump.

:oops: :oops: Don't have the overflow yet. When it gets here it won't have any paperwork either. How can i find this out?

well ya average tube overflow can handle like 700 gph mabe 800 but the biggest maxi-jet ive seen is a 1200 which at a 4' head will only give you mabe 50 gph so that wouldnt do you any good !! ya need a mag 7 or 9.5 would be better :)

gph/size of pump = less than the gph of the overflow. Could use more than one overflow also.

If you pump more than the overflow can handle then water on the floor.

I was to scared to use an overflow so got a drilled tank, figured it was overstocker proof :D

running two overflows together imo is a bad idea !! it be to hard to keep them flowing together !! your better to buy a duel over flow save ya a head ache !! one tube over flow will be fine !! i have one and i use a mag 9.5 with out any issues :)

ive only seen one size tube for over flows !! think they are 1" could be wrong but they standard size for the most part :)

OK I need help in understanding how this works, water goes into the overflow which is in the display tank, How does it get into the sump? If the overflow is hanging on the back of the tank, then in order to get water into the the sump it will have to "flow" into the pipe and down to the sump. I know from there it's pumped back up by the mag 9.5 (which I have decided to use). Just change me name to "dazed and confused" 8O

ok do this !! after you get the box fill the back of the box so water run into your sump !! then add water if needed to the tank so it fills the box inside the tank !! then put an airline into the overflow tube past the top of the tube !! then start your pump in the sump !! then start sucking the air out of the tube !! if ya use the mag 9.5 it will have enough flow to pull out any extra air ya might not get but when ya do this it will start the syphon !! now very important is that the tube on the outside box is higher than the u-tube that runs over the tank!! if not then when the pump turns off it would break the syphon !! most are this way but just want you to look for that !! ya have to do this quite fast or your tank will over flow !! so dont waste much time !! but once ya get the syphon going ya should never have to worry about it !! but i always check that air isnt trapped in the u-tube every week or so ya never know !!

i wouldnt say it sucks water it more just falls down it !! the u-tube sits right next to it !! so water falls into the back of the box then falls down to your sump :)

See that's what I don't understand. My tank is not drilled, if the water is high enough to get into the overflow would it not simply run out of the aquarium? on the other hand if it can get into the overflow, then how can it get down the tube? I'm not a plummer but even I knwo water don't run up hill with out help.

ok lets try this :

-----water line in tank------------- ---------------------------
----------- top of overflow box which would really be at the water line just showing you ok!! all boxes have a way to adjust how high ya want the water to be !! so imo your better to start at the lowest setting !! and then adjust to where ya like !! but the water is forced due to the weight of the water into the first box in the tank thru the u-tube then over the side of the tank then it falls into the back box !! then it falls into the tube in the back box into your sump !! its really easy and when ya get it ya will see !! mabe it be better for you to get a 5 gallon bucket and go out side with a hose and start the syphon and then ya will see what im talking about :)

Ok Maybe when I actually get the overflow I'll understand. But since I have never seen one I think you could explain it until your avitar tuns blue in the face. :lol:

tru heheh serious though take it out side and use a 5 gallon bucket and your hose then ya dont have to worry about flooding anything ya know !! you will get it !! good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom