Purple build up on edge of tank & green growth!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ads_1205

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I've got an MT50 marine tank and I've had it up and running since May 2013.

Everything has been nicely settled in but over the last 4-5 month I've have been getting lots of purple build up on the edge of the tank (see picture)

There has also been lots of green growth has started coming from my live rock. I keep removing it but every 2 weeks it seems to just grow back.

Is this normal and if not how can I reduce it?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413134704.272968.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413134755.065731.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The purple algae is good! Are you using RO/DI water? How long are your lights running? Water flow?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The purple is coralline, it's a sign of a healthy stable system, but it can be a pain to clean off. The green looks to some type of macro, which is not one of my strong areas so that's all I can really tell you, but if it's growing that fast id just keep doing what your doing.

Coralline algae is the purple.......you are doing good

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use Shirley Aquatics for my water. I get both fresh water and salt water from there.

My light is on for 10 hours a day. It comes on at 1pm and turns off at 11pm. In the day it's out of direct sunlight in a fairly dark room.

That's good that it's healthy. It's not the easiest to clean you are right!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom