rain water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on where you live. If you live in or near a big city or anywhere there are factories (smokestacks) chances are the water is polluted somewhat but if you are way out in the boonies then I would test the water but I think you would eb fairly safe. Anyone tried it?

IMO it would not be a good idea. It would be difficult to collect anyway. Most time when it rains it's only like 1/4 or something so you would need a huge tarp to collect it. I think the hassle would not be worth it. I'd also worry about the pollution like mentioned.

some people have rain collecting systems and use that for drinking water, of course there's probably some sort of filter on it... as far as pollution goes, it really doesn't matter where you are... Pollution travels very far in the air... you could be 100 miles from a factory but it could still give you acid rain or something you know. I think it might be worth expirimenting with for maybe a guppy or something... I wouldn't try it on anything expensive... fish live in ponds in people's backyard where rain falls, it doesn't kill them, usually... but I do agree with the collecting being a possible pain in the neck... You would either need a big surface to collect off of, or collect over a long period of time, but then some of the water just sits there and you run into other problems... so... I wouldn't give you a thumbs up or down... up to you in my opinion...

Well I just meant that i would do it where I live but would not if I lived in Toronto or Detroit or something like that. Seems like more of a pain in the azz to me than it is worth. Good luck if oyu try it though.

Hey! What's wrong with Detroit? :)
I wouldn't do it anywhere. Mt. Mitchell, NC... over a mile high, one of (if not THE) highest point in the eastern continental divide. There's not a huge city for a good distance...acid rain there was wiping out many of its trees. So, doesn't matter where you live, I'd just break down and buy a RO/DI...and I did. Interesting concept, but probably not feasible.

Collecting would be easy thats what gutters are for then maybe I'll run it through a brita filter set up or something.BUying RO is just a rip and I can;t afford to buy a unit and if I could I probablly wouldn;t I am the frugal reefer at heart.There is another way damn it.I'll keep you posted up if I do anything

IMO Rainwater is not much different than tapwater. Unless you have a multitude of test kits or get your local rainwater lab tested I wouldn't use it. Any pollution aside, rainwater can contain minerals, metals, salts etc. A Brita filter will remove some larger molecules and make the water look and smell better but it will leave lots of stuff. Depending on what's already in your rain water, when you add a salt mix you could be adding compounds that are already in it causing imbalances in your tank. As mentioned, I would buy the RO water or buy the RO unit...reefing is an expensive hobby and you are trying to skimp on the most vital element of the hobby, water.

I have a buddy that lives in PA and he tried to collect a bunch of snow and melted it in bucketts. Needless to say, he wiped out his whole tank. So with that being said it's my suggestion that declorinated tap water would be much safer. :wink:

Collecting would be easy thats what gutters are for
I do hope you are joking. Collecting rainwater runoff from a roof is a BAD idea. New roofing shingles are Fiberglass-Asphalt Construction. Stuff collects on the the roof surface. Everything from tree pollen, bird droppings and all sorts of airborne pollution. A Brita filter is not going to remove enough to make it potable.

jackdp gave you good advice. Get an RO unit. You can get a RO/DI unit on eBay for under $100.00.

man you guys are bringing me down:( lol. I need to figure out something though there has to be a good way to get phosphate free water with otu buying it

How about finding a buddy or two to share the cost of a RO/DI unit. I use mine about 3 days a month to make water for changes and top off.

Well good luck whatever you decide to do. Where in Ohio are you. In the big city you may as well just dechlorinate the water if an RO unit is not feasible.

And I have nothing against Detroit, I just would not collect water there with all that acid rain.

What kind of tank do you have? And have you tested your tap water for phophates and nitrates? If you only plan on FOWLR then dechorinated tapwater may be okay. Test it for nitrates and phosphates...there are lots of people who use dechlorinated tap with little or no problems. The best case scenario...your tapwater is fine. Bad scenario...your tap is high in nitrates and/or phosphates and you're constantly battling algae. Worst case scenario...your tap water is high in copper and constantly kills all your inverts. Here is a link to an article about the use of municipal water in marine aquaria....http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm The decision is up to you.

I got a 55 reef style not much in it yet ,but zoo's and colony.I never tested it ,but know it has some phosphates as my 10 gallon was a mess until I got my urchin(aka the bulldozer). I have been keeping my spray bar below the water level to cut down on micro bubbles this seems to really help on hte algae side , plus it was hte bloom from my cycle.Good idea about sharing the RO unit. I p[lan to see first how well a established refuge with many plants can do in fighting off the phosphates

Back
Top Bottom