Random musings and questions... Mostly relating to pods.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDracor

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want a mandarin. While I hope to be able to train it to eat frozen foods, I recognize that needing a supply of live foods for the rest of it's life is not only possible, but probable. Right now, in my tank, I don't have anything that seems overly concerned about pods. The sixline, damsel, and clown all seem to have figured out that hunting is totally unnecessary because when I approach the tank just so, food shall rain from the heavens. At night, I watch the copepods and amphipods dance around the tank sides, and on a rock that is covered with bryopsis (I'd clean it off, but my foxface seems to keep it trimmed, and corralled to just that one rock).
I also have a newly set up refugium in which I also see pods at night. Mostly I hear people say "well established" or "mature" when referring to introducing a mandarin. Of course, there is no set definition for this.
So here's my Mandarin question. At what point can I look at my pods crawling around and feel confident that the population is strong enough to feed a Mandarin? I've heard that in the wild, they gulp one down every 5-30 seconds. So, if I can count at least 5 per minute until I've run the length of the tank, think that would do it? LOL

Next musing!
I have a Galaxea coral sitting on top of a rock about midway up in the tank. It was a rescue project. LFS manager gave it to me for free because it was essentially dead. 90% plain white corallites, and that 10% that had tissue, it was brown and recessed. Now it's about 25% covered with healthy polyps. Yay for rescue ops! Now, underneath it, in the gaps between coral rock and the rock it is sitting on, I occasionally see what appears to be mysid shrimp darting about. They look like mysids, act like mysids, and are the right size.
I've given some thought to purchasing live mysids and dumping them in the fuge to breed. But would they then decimate my pod population? What exactly do the darn things eat? Anyone have experience raising mysids?

Final musing (for now)!
On the aforementioned bryopsis farm/rock, near the sand line, is a purple sponge. It seems to have sprung up fairly quickly, as I only noticed it a few days ago and I tend to obsessively scrutinize every inch of the tank several times a day. I'll get a picture tomorrow when the lights come on. No fancy shape or anything, it follows the contours of the rock for the most part and is a mild lavenderish purple. Anyone seen the same type?
Other than making sure it gets enough food, is there a way to encourage it to grow faster? I really like sponges.
So, to recap, questions:
1) Is there a tried and true method of determining the strength of copepod/amphipod populations?
2) Would attempting to breed mysids be counterproductive to aforementioned pod populations?
3) Anyone know the general type of sponge I'm referring to (species identification is very difficult with sponges, I know) and how to encourage growth?
Thank you all, you've been a wonderful audience. I really need more sleep.

Forgot a musing!

Mini brittle stars! This might seem silly, but are these tiny little buggers actually a different species than the bigger ones you see for sale?
I had always assumed so, but lately I've been noticing them getting larger. Like, some of my "mini" brittle stars can stick a single leg out over a full inch. How big can I expect them to get?

My dragon mandarin loves the coral food. I blend together mysis, squid and scollops into a fine paste. I add the tank water to make it more watery. The corals absolutely love it and i noticed whenever i would feed my corals the mandarin would be dashing around like crazy. I would squirt the paste close to the mandarin and it did not take long before he would follow the syringe around the tank.

I don't know anything about brittle stars...they kind of creep me out...so never owned one

Here is a picture of the sponge from Question 3.
38183-albums3039-picture34686.jpg

I'll say one thing about a six line wrasse. They absolutely will hunt pods and will compete fr food with a mandarin. I would even watch aggression towards a mandarin. I took my six line out of my tank for this very reason.

Blood worms are good food to try for mandarin. Mine loves them.

I doubt you will train a mandarin to eat prepared foods if it wasn't eating them since birth, like the ORA ones (even those revert to live only in many cases). I also doubt that you can sustain one that only eats live food in a 55 long term. They eat the equivelant of about a bottle of pods a day. IMO, a single mandarin would eat your tank empty in a couple months.
If you can get it to eat blood worms or black worms, then you are good to go, because these are large and cheap.

Mysid shrimp eat detritus.

And to your questions, no, no, and no.

I would never even consider keeping a live food only mandarin in this tank without a well established refugium going. THough some say a 55 is fine for one, that just seems too chancy to me. My hope is that the refugium can sustain a larger population than the main tank.
Regardless of whether I can train one (assuming I even decide to get one, it's still up in the air) to eat frozen foods, I will try to worms as well.
I just dumped a pouch of AlgaGen Reef Pods Tisbe into the fuge. While I didn't actually see any live pods in it, I'm hoping there were at least eggs.
Thanks for combining detailed info with succinct answers, X!

And with the buy 1 get 1 free option, it's pretty sweet. Just for funsies, I went along the front edge of my DT and fuge with a flashlight and was able to individually count over 80 copepods and a few amphipods. I need help. LOL
Anywho, when my chaeto and halymenia arrive, maybe I'll order some pods.

I have Halimeda in the tank primarily for decoration. My calcium levels are through the roof anyway. I was referring to a red macro algae called halymenia. Here's a pic of it in the wild (mine hasn't arrived yet).
halymenia-8.jpg

lol...I'm sorry I missed that. Sometimes my skim-reading doesn't pay off.
That stuff looks nice.
How is your calcium through the roof? What is your alk at?

The piece I got is pretty tiny, but it'll be nice as it grows in.
So, my calcium levels were consistently above 480, usually at 500. Coudn't figure out why. I thought maybe it was my water source (was using tap for a while. Bad John!) but that wasn't it. Turns out that the generic salt I was using was not too specific about how much they meant by "High in calcium". So that was the issue. Calcium is down to 440 now, thanks to the monti cap, derasa clam, and halimeda.

Yeah, unfortunately, I am using API. But I don't have a liquid test for Alk. Last test strip I used put it around 5. A liquid test is next on my list.
I'd like to switch from API to something a little more reliable, but I think I'll wait until those test bottles start running out. They're not *completely* useless, after all.

I have posted about mandarins until my fingers are sore. Many good articles about their long term care. Only a few I know have had long term success with them, I am not one of those people. Over 30 years I have tried on and off and always lost the battle. Dragonettes are one of my favorite fish, but I have come to realize (for myself) that it isn't worth killing anymore of them trying anymore. There are a few folks on this forum (Carey for one) that have refused to give up and are seeing some success, but they really work for it.

The 6 line should be eating the heck out of many of the same foods the Mandarine would go for. They need a quieter tank as they hover and hunt and tanks with lots of flow and many other competitive fish probably don't help the survival of the Mandarin. But, like everything, there will be somebody that posts that they have kept one in a goldfish bowl. JIMO

Well Greg, as I wrote earlier in this thread, it's still up in the air as to whether or not I will get one. I do recognize the special care requirements they have and won't be one of those fish keepers who buys something pretty just to have it and lets it die because it's too much work. I firmly believe that buying a pet of any sort is taking responsibility for a life.
And yeah, I know that the wrasse should be eating pods left and right, but in the four months I've had him, I've seen him peck at a surface a grand total of twice. At this exact moment, he is fascinated by his reflection.
Anyway, I've started counting pods each night before bed, and the number I can find along the front of the tank has doubled in the last week. The number I can find in the fuge has more than quadrupled. That being said, a fish that eats one every few seconds may still be able to kill the population.
So, while I am hoping that I'll be able to train a mandarin (again, IF I get one) to frozen foods, I recognize that I may be buying pods fairly often.

MacDracor said:
Well Greg, as I wrote earlier in this thread, it's still up in the air as to whether or not I will get one. I do recognize the special care requirements they have and won't be one of those fish keepers who buys something pretty just to have it and lets it die because it's too much work. I firmly believe that buying a pet of any sort is taking responsibility for a life.
And yeah, I know that the wrasse should be eating pods left and right, but in the four months I've had him, I've seen him peck at a surface a grand total of twice. At this exact moment, he is fascinated by his reflection.
Anyway, I've started counting pods each night before bed, and the number I can find along the front of the tank has doubled in the last week. The number I can find in the fuge has more than quadrupled. That being said, a fish that eats one every few seconds may still be able to kill the population.
So, while I am hoping that I'll be able to train a mandarin (again, IF I get one) to frozen foods, I recognize that I may be buying pods fairly often.

I would check out the article on Dragonettes Coral Magazine published last year. It may be available on their web site. It described the best way I have heard of training Mandarines to frozen food...not easy and certainly not guaranteed, it at least made sense. I have heard that even ORA Mandarines can revert to only eating live pods again in some cases. I have too many other fish that like to eat pods to have any chance a Mandarine would survive.

Yeah, unfortunately, I am using API. But I don't have a liquid test for Alk. Last test strip I used put it around 5. A liquid test is next on my list.
I'd like to switch from API to something a little more reliable, but I think I'll wait until those test bottles start running out. They're not *completely* useless, after all.
The API calcium kit is about worthless IMO/IME.

Back
Top Bottom