Rich's 125 Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Bschowa. I am working a deal right now where I put together a group buy on some LEDs. I will be getting 3 electronic dimmable LED fixtures for about $200 each. They are no name fixtures but several members of the local club have used them and are very pleased with them.

Well, tonight after work I got the sump built. Picture below because I know you won't believe me otherwise. Not sure how I managed it but one of the baffles is a bit off. I don't think the fish will mind too much so that is the way it will stay. :)

Also got a very nice PM tonight. Several months ago a local club member bought a used acrylic tank that leaked. He started a thread looking for ideas on how to fix it. I told him to bring it by and we would see what we could do. Most of the seam was gone and we got it all sealed but one small area. He ended up selling it. Well, tonight he sent me a PM saying he was breaking down his bow front and heard I was looking for Live Rock. He said that since I helped him, he would give the 50-60 lbs he has and he will store it and keep it alive until I am ready for it. Along with what I have in my 45. I should be just about there as far as rock goes.

Just shows to go ya, what goes around comes around. :)

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 145
Good news. The group buy I put together for LEDs only needs two more and we will get them for $235 per unit instead of $250. Now is the time if you want to go LED. :) Can't wait to see them over my new 125.

By the way, that is for electronic dimmable fixtures so one day when I get a controller I will be fat dumb and happy. Ok, so I am fat and dumb now but......

I love KARMA!

Good things happen to good people! Like the guy that came to Vegas for a military exercise. He was approved to be a marrow donor for someone that he didnt even know, then a couple days later hit a 2.8 million dollar jackpot while he was here!

Good things happen to good people! Like the guy that came to Vegas for a military exercise. He was approved to be a marrow donor for someone that he didnt even know, then a couple days later hit a 2.8 million dollar jackpot while he was here!

Love hearing things like that. Thanks for sharing. (y)

Good news. Just saved $45 on my LEDs. We hit the 20 unit mark on our group buy which drops the price to $235. These are being used by a bunch of reefers in Atlanta and all are giving great reviews. If you want in we can work something out. :)

Today is when the work will really begin in earnest. I have to have my wife to the airport by Noon and she won’t return until next Sunday. That gives me one full week to get this thing up and running. Keep in mind, my current 45 sits on top of the entertainment center with the sump behind it. This is the location the 125 is going in. Going to be tricky. Here is the plan.

On the way home from the airport I am picking up a 100 gallon stock tank and several jugs from a friend. I have about 20 gallons of water mixed that I will immediately put in the stock tank, then transfer the 20 gallons of RO/DI to the mixing container and start another batch while making more RO/DI. Over the next couple of days I will “Rinse and Repeat” until I have enough water.

In addition to mixing water, this afternoon I have 55 lbs of dry sand I need to rinse. Weather permitting, tomorrow I will set the tank up in the driveway so I can start the final plumbing, fill it with tap from the hose and test everything thoroughly.

At some point during the week, I will start to transfer fish, corals and rock to the stock tank. I will also go by and pick up the rock that another friend is giving me to supplement what was in my 45. As soon as I can get the 45 empty, I will get some neighbors to give me a hand, move the 45 and entertainment system out of the way, set the 125 in place and start filling.

My biggest concern at this point is lighting. I have 3 dimmable LED fixtures due in sometime this coming week but I don’t know when I will receive them. Before I can set the canopy on the 125 I am going to have to get these mounted, and wire in the DIY dimmer that still needs to be assembled. While I don’t want to go this route, my backup plan is to leave my current fixture suspended from the ceiling which will give the 125 some light. The drawback is taking it down once I am ready to put the canopy with LEDs on. It is pretty heavy and awkward not to mention I will have to patch holes in the ceiling once it is removed.

I will try to document with pictures as best I can and post them here as this comes together (or falls apart as the case may be).

Thanks for following.
Rich

Thanks everyone. Even with the late start, I am making a bit of progress.

I could be wrong but something tells me it is a good thing she is gone for the next week. I don’t think she would be overly “tickled” with me.

55 pounds of sand washed and ready to go, 25 gallons of water mixing and the RO/DI unit running wide open. We are off to a good start.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 153

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom