Rinsing filter socks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am having trouble with high silica in my 110 reef. Just added a reactor with phosguard to help but I'm trying to find the source. Rodi water seems to check fine but high in the tank. I rinse my filter socks weekly with the Waterhose and just sling the water out. Could this be enough tap water to cause a problem. Silica tested 1.5!!!! Also, where is agood threAd to learn about all the different types of media? Can be overwhelming in the catalogs and online. Can they be mixed?

I rinse my 2 14" felt socks off 1-2 times a week with my tap water and it never causes a problem. Think about it, a few ounces of tap water make it back to your 110 Gallon tank... I highly doubt your filter sock cleaning habit is causing the problem. give us as many specifics on the tank as possible. how longs it been up? how much live rock and sand? what type of sand? what inhabitants? have you resealed the tank at all? any additional silicone products in the tank? etc

110 reef that has been established for about 8 months. Live sand bottom with a 35 gall fuge. Reef octo skimmer. Two power heads (size?) fuge not established yet due to light problems. Installed the second fuge light for it to only burn 2 days. Also a reactor with phosguard in it. 150 lbs of live rock in display tank. Three clownfish. Sailfin tang. Yellow tang. Coral beauty. Watchman goby. Two engineer gobys. Blue hippo. Two shrimp. Misc snails. And one clam. Also misc corals of all kinds. Had really good luck with livestock since starting I believe. (Only lost 2 fish and one coral). Lost a blonde naso after a month of not eating. Running led lights. (Maxspect mizarro p series). Thanks for the response!

If you want to learn about the different types of media, then look on reef seller website such as BRS or marinedepot. They have different media available and you can do a quick google search about each type of media.

Just a process of elimination have you tested how high the silicate on your tap water being used to clean your sock filter? It may be small but they can accumulate after so many times you are adding it to your tank. WC may only partially remove it.

Rinsing your filter socks could not have run your silica up like that.

Some salt mixes test high as well as some sand substrates. That's where it's coming from. I use purigen in a fluidized sand filter to reduce organics and silica.

I wash my filter socks I'm the washer with a bit of bleach flip them inside out first wash and second wash flip them right side out and wash again and throw them in the dryer bleach leaves no residue when dry

Back
Top Bottom