Rock Flower Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a rock flower anemone at the reef builders Reef Stock event this past Saturday. The little guy is residing in my 10 gallon reef tank that is stocked with a snowflake clown, a yellow clown goby, skunk cleaner, 2 hermits, a a bunch of corals. He's settled about 1 inch from where I initially had him and I've even fed him a piece of shrimp. So my question is: Got any tips with these guys? anything from your experience with them would be great as this is my first anemone.

:thanks:

I got mine about a year ago from PacEast, it was about 2 inches across. I feed him every other day and it's up to about 5 inches across now, and is gorgeous. They do wander, and mine found it's way into my overflow box (not in any danger, thankfully)....so if you need to move yours, use a turkey baster and **gently** blow water at it's foot. It will release and you can use a shell (or your gloved hand), to move it where ever you'd like.

Thanks for the tips guys. I won't feed it any more. I just fed it to get it started in my tank and try to help it through the transition period. It looks more and more comfortable every day. Autumnsky, I'll definitely look into sexy shrimp to go with this guy. I bet Neptune's in Littleton has them, they always seem to. I also heard that porcelain crabs host rock flowers so I'm gonna do a little research on those guys too because I think that would be neat to have in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
god knows how many little inverts I bought over the years, hardly ever see them in the 90 , I know there still alive as I do see them time to time but they mostly hang out in the underworld in my tank they have the entire sand bed undermined . it's like the lost city down there.

glad all my rocks are on egg-crate and wont shift , once was enough with rock going through bottom a hard lesson learned

most of my rock nems tend to visit that underworld too but when they reappear they bring a few babies along . it's a magic kingdom

Last edited:
god knows how many little inverts I bought over the years, hardly ever see them in the 90 , I know there still alive as I do see them time to time but they mostly hang out in the underworld in my tank they have the entire sand bed undermined . it's like the lost city down there.

glad all my rocks are on egg-crate and wont shift , once was enough with rock going through bottom a hard lesson learned

most of my rock nems tend to visit that underworld too but when they reappear they bring a few babies along . it's a magic kingdom

Funny. ...but so true

autumn,..whats the temperament of those pom poms ? reef compatible ? i always thought they were cool

It is a filter feeder using the Poms, and I guess can pick at little things. I see it walking around periodically, like this morning, and I fed it as a reward for being out. Never seen it even close to any delicate things, presently I don't have any Zoas. Just the RFA and a Leather, tiny feather dusters and many other tiny little things. Have never even seen it near a RFA.

Here is a pic from the other day hiding in a new spot, and then of it with the eggs. I think they are great housed with the RFA.
Here it is in the rock under the tail of the shrimp - see 2 white poms
60074-albums14535-picture70927.jpg

Eggs can't miss them
60074-albums14535-picture70949.jpg
!!!

It is a filter feeder using the Poms, and I guess can pick at little things. I see it walking around periodically, like this morning, and I fed it as a reward for being out. Never seen it even close to any delicate things, presently I don't have any Zoas. Just the RFA and a Leather, tiny feather dusters and many other tiny little things. Have never even seen it near a RFA.

Here is a pic from the other day hiding in a new spot, and then of it with the eggs. I think they are great housed with the RFA.
Here it is in the rock under the tail of the shrimp - see 2 white poms
60074-albums14535-picture70927.jpg

Eggs can't miss them
60074-albums14535-picture70949.jpg
!!!

Thanks autumn ,..sooner or later I wanna get some little guys for the " underworld " ,...I really don't have any crustacean predators in the tank anymore so I'll like to add a few little cuties to form their own little mini city down below .

Those pom pom crabs are pretty cool. I need to look into some cool little inverts to get for my tank. The fact that it's only 10 gallons means I'll have a chance to see them every now and then. The Rock Flower is still doing great and already looks a little bigger.

Did you get a pic of the little guy yet? My tank is a 6.6G moving it back to a 12G pretty soon. Just make sure to make some, or have some rocks with openings for the Pom Pom Crab to hang out in.

Back
Top Bottom