Salidity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnnlaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never used this place before. I was surfing the net to do some research on this topic and stumbled upon this sight. Looks like a great cite. I have spent about the last 2 hours reading things on it.

My tank is about 1 1/2 years old. I tested everything and it all falls perfect with the exception of my salidity. It is sitting at 1.032. It is off the charts. I have been adding purified water when the water evaporates and nothing has changed in the Salidity. I did a 40% water change 3 days ago with sw and i still have the problem. Wondering if you all have any ideas as to what I can do to reduce the salidity before it kills my fish.

The salidity I think has changed the look of my LR as well. It used to look so nice and now it looks like death. I have nothing at all growing on it and it looks brownish. I will put some photos on here of it so you may be able to give me some insight on that as well.

I really appreciate any and all help that you can give me.
Thanks to all that answer.

Moved to proper forum. You need to drop your salinity slowly. What size tank is this. You`ll need to withdraw some SW and replace with FW. Depending on size of tank will tell you how much and when.

Just putting in fresh water as the tank water evaporates won't reduce your salinity. The salt never evaporates, just the water it's dissolved in, so when you add fresh water back, all you're doing is keeping the same level of salinity. As melosu stated, you should draw off some of the tank water every so often (a bucket full every couple days or so) dump this out, then top up with fresh water. Keep checking your specs and before too long you'll be in the salinity range you're shooting for.

Thanks for the welcome. I only have one tang in there with about 15 hermit crabs. It is a 75 gallon tank.

I now have put a LARGE Hermit crab in there and also added two of the white and Black clowns. ( I think that is what they are).

THank you for the advise on the adding FW and removing it. Makes sense that it would lower the salinity after the FW is added. I will try this. Thank you all. Your help is appreciated.

Definitely, great advice and welcome to the site!

Back
Top Bottom