Salinity level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mardaman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I am new to this site, so hello and I need some advice. I just upgraded to a 90 gallon saltwater, my salinity level is 3.1, I have fish, soft corals and invertebrates. I was told this level is too high and do a 6 gallon water change with R/O which I will do today. My questions are what is a safe salinity level, and is this the same as the Specific Gravity. Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Thanks..............mardaman

Salinity Level

WOW........AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Already getting advice, thanks alot for helping. I will be on quite a bit.

Mardaman

3.1??? Do you mean 1.031? If so, yes, that is too high. Most people shoot for 1.023-1.026...... personally I keep mine right at 1.026. You will want to bring it down slowly, not all at once.... if my math is right, each 6 gallon RODI change will bring it down about .002, so do a 6 gallon change every other day three times, which will bring you down to about 1.025.

And remember, when you are replacing evaporated water, don't use salt water. Use RO-DI water when topping off tank.

Hi again,

In a one time water change can tap water be used if my SG is too high, I noticed my tap water SG is 0. And if so how much is safe to replace/add after removing some Salt Water

mardaman

You are always suppose to top off with freshwater salt does not evaporate but water does causing the salinity to rise but once top off it'll level out

I wouldn't use tap water at all if I can help it. I know that mine comes into my house @ 120 ppm Which by water quality goes is pretty good most ive heard are well above 300. my rodi puts out water @ 0 Top ups and water changes should be done with rodi water. Then you can be sure your not adding chemicals like fluoride, chlorine, lead . Ect ect and whatever other chemicals you could imagine are in tap water. If you happen to have a well at your house I wouldn't even think about it. I would guess its upwards of 1500 ppm of things such as iron, sulfur, phosphate. Definatly things you don't want in your system.

If you ever do happen to use tap water use prime from seachem. It removes chlorine and chloramine and ammonia and detoxifies nitrate & nitrite so the water becomes more " fish safe"

You are always suppose to top off with freshwater salt does not evaporate but water does causing the salinity to rise but once top off it'll level out

Get your salinity issue right on and then mark the water level on the glass with a piece of tape or permanent marker and always keep topping it back up to that level with freshwater. Then always mix your salt at the same level and you should never have many issues

1.025 for me. My skimmer works better on the higher end of things.

Tip that might be helpful when buying fish or coral is to make sure to ask what the SG is in the tank that you are buying animals from. You'd be surprised to find a lot of LFS keep their tanks at 1.016-1.020. You take a fish home and acclimate to your 1.025 and could have problems that might leave you scratching your head. Going down is not nearly as bad as coming back up quickly.

mardaman said:
Hello all,

I am new to this site, so hello and I need some advice. I just upgraded to a 90 gallon saltwater, my salinity level is 3.1, I have fish, soft corals and invertebrates. I was told this level is too high and do a 6 gallon water change with R/O which I will do today. My questions are what is a safe salinity level, and is this the same as the Specific Gravity. Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Thanks..............mardaman

Make sure you use a refractometer to check the salinity

Back
Top Bottom