Salinity reading too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b.askew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any way to lower the salinity of a tank? The tank has no fish or living creatures of any kind in it. Right now its only 55 gallon tank, UGF, and power heads.
Every time I check the salinity using a hydrometer I get 1.027

Thanks

I would just take a bucket and remove some water from the tank. Then add more freshwater. Only do a little at a time. So you don't end up having too little salt 8O

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
the best way to lower salinity is to utilize PWC with FW only. Since there is no livestock in the tank you do not have to be as careful as it there was. Take out about three gal. of Sw and replace it with FW. If you are using a "swing arm" SG meter, just know that they are not very accurate. Get another one and compare the two.

on a side note...if this is a new tank and you have no livestock in it, I would consider ditching the UGF. It is a bit out-dated and there are much better forms of biological filtration available.

Awesome information, thanks a bunch!

Warm Regards,
Brad

P.S. What would you recommend to replace the UGF? I have thought about ditching it altogether. "Your New Marine Aquarium: Step by Step Guide to Setup and Stocking" is on it's way to my house...once it arrives I imagine I will get some more help.

P.S. What would you recommend to replace the UGF?
Consider a 3in LS bed and 1.5-2 lbs per gal of LR. Back that up with some good mechanical and chemical filtration and you will be just fine. :D

Consider a 3in LS bed and 1.5-2 lbs per gal of LR. Back that up with some good mechanical and chemical filtration and you will be just fine. :D

I have two of the marineland 330 powered filter's, each filter has 2 filter cartridge's in it. They were the ones that Marineland made before the biowheel's (according to my LFS), so mine do not have the biowheels. You think this is enough mechanical, and chemical filtration?

Before you read the hydrometer make sure you tap it on the table to get the bubbles up from under the arm. That will also cause a higher than real SG. I would invest in the refractometer now. You'll thank me later for that. They can be purchased on ebay for a song.

Another thing I noticed when mixing my saltwater up in a bucket I have to wait a little bit before testing the salinity or the reading will be off. I guess it takes a little bit of time for the salt to disolve and mix well.

Jermz79 said:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=REFRACT-PA&Category_Code=Hydrometer

This is one that I and a couple others on the board have and I know everyone backs it up as a solid instrument! Definitely ditch the Hydrometer and pick up one of these!

Hey excellent Jermz79! I was looking on ebay these things range in price quite a bit, and I never know exactly what type I need. This seems to be a reasonable price, and knowing that others on aquariumadvice.com use it successfully gives me a bit more buying confidence.

Back
Top Bottom