Sand Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
So when I set up my tank I used a very fine sand. Does this limit the kind of livestock I can have, does it hinder some species from burrowing in it? I am noticing now that the tank has started running that there are little air pockets I can see on the sides of the glass, should I be concerned about it. My sand is between 2-4 inches throughout the bottom.

The only reason I ask is that my old tank has pretty course sand, so there are no pockets or voids in it.

The only animal that may have trouble would be any burrowing fish (jawfish/gobies) because they like to use the larger rubble in the substrate to build a den, and even a roof... seriously. My jawfish did this to his last den, it looked like a fort.

The bubbles you see are normal. It could be trapped air that is escaping, or if the tank has been setup long enough it could be nitrogen bubbles.

It's new sand, and new water so I know it isn't nitrogen. It looks like air that got trapped when I put the sand in. I protected it with a trash bag and pie pan when I added the water so it didn't kick up at all, will that air eventually escape?

yes it will, go get a couple nassarius snails, they will turn over the sand and all air bubbles will be released.

Back
Top Bottom