Securing top of tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmartin722

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's the best and easiest way to secure the top of my aquarium. I have a glass top that covers most of the tank but have about three inches that is not covered.

tmartin722 said:
What's the best and easiest way to secure the top of my aquarium. I have a glass top that covers most of the tank but have about three inches that is not covered.

What do you mean by secure? Keep it from falling off or keeping fish in? I 3 tanks with tops, my 2 10g tanks are missing a strip about an 1-1/2 wide all the way across the back & my 46g has about 6-8 inches of open space. Personally I leave them open & there's no need to"secure" the hood.

shellieca said:
What do you mean by secure? Keep it from falling off or keeping fish in? I 3 tanks with tops, my 2 10g tanks are missing a strip about an 1-1/2 wide all the way across the back & my 46g has about 6-8 inches of open space. Personally I leave them open & there's no need to"secure" the hood.

If you have ever lost a flasher wrasse to carpet surfing, you might feel differently.

On my 37, I used light diffuser grating cut to shape. On my 75, I have glass covers with a semi-clear plastic strip cut to shape. A lot of folks use a window screen net with a clear plastic mesh. The mesh is available from Bulk Reef Supply. You can pretty much only make rectangles with this though. Many use an enclosed canopy to contain the critters.

Rutrag said:
If you have ever lost a flasher wrasse to carpet surfing, you might feel differently.

On my 37, I used light diffuser grating cut to shape. On my 75, I have glass covers with a semi-clear plastic strip cut to shape. A lot of folks use a window screen net with a clear plastic mesh. The mesh is available from Bulk Reef Supply. You can pretty much only make rectangles with this though. Many use an enclosed canopy to contain the critters.

I was trying to understand what the op meant by securing the lid. My tank tops are not completely open only a small section on the back. I don't keep fish big enough or smart enough to push the hood off. If they somehow jump out of that small space then they're pretty darn tricky.

Just didn't want to take the chance a 50.00 fish or 140.00 eel will get out. Your right the opening in the back is only about 2 to 3 inches. But in time I've had a tank I have see fish do strange things.

shellieca said:
I was trying to understand what the op meant by securing the lid. My tank tops are not completely open only a small section on the back. I don't keep fish big enough or smart enough to push the hood off. If they somehow jump out of that small space then they're pretty darn tricky.

Almost all saltwater fish are "smart" enough to jump out of a topless tank... Lol

You could just buy a screen top from your LFS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom