Seeding tank with copepods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Spoke with a rep from marinedepot they sell live pods. He said to shut down skimmer and pumps, power heads for 1 hour and to add them all into chamber 2 at night in total darkness.

Anyone else do this? I was thinking about it.

Oh and I have a BC 29.

One reason is my wife loves those scooter blennys or dragnets? Anyway I had 2 and they both die most likely due to starvation. So is it worth it?

And which would you use? This company had them in a bag and you need to shove the filter media in the rocks for days and days.

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/INV...phipods-Copepods--500---Buy-1-Get-1-FREE.html

Marinedepot comes in a bag with just the copepods and some algae.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...hild=GV00005&gclid=CMzpoOfloa8CFSWFQAod8XLCWA

Dump them in with skimmer turned off. Rinse out the bag/bottle to make sure you got out all the cling-ons. Give them a little bit to find something solid to grab on to before turning the skimmer back on. If you have a refugium, that's the best place to add them.

MacDracor said:
Dump them in with skimmer turned off. Rinse out the bag/bottle to make sure you got out all the cling-ons. Give them a little bit to find something solid to grab on to before turning the skimmer back on. If you have a refugium, that's the best place to add them.

No fuge. So put them IN the skimmer? Tunze 9002 in chamber 2 of BC29 or put them in the chamber where the skimmer is?

Not in the skimmer. LOL
If it's just a Biocube, I'd just dump them into the main tank. That's just me, though.

MacDracor said:
Not in the skimmer. LOL
If it's just a Biocube, I'd just dump them into the main tank. That's just me, though.

Haha didn't think so... Yeah per marinedepot techs they said in chamber 2 which didn't really make sense to me. There's filter floss between 2 and 3 so how would they make it to the main tank but he insisted they would.

Oh they would eventually. They'd climb over and around it. But in the meantime, they'd be in a confined space with limited food and surface area for scavenging. DT is better. If you can transfer them with a turkey baster or pipette directly into the rockwork there'll be fewer losses from fish saying "Oh look, this food moves!" when you dump them in. LOL

MacDracor said:
Oh they would eventually. They'd climb over and around it. But in the meantime, they'd be in a confined space with limited food and surface area for scavenging. DT is better. If you can transfer them with a turkey baster or pipette directly into the rockwork there'll be fewer losses from fish saying "Oh look, this food moves!" when you dump them in. LOL

I'll give it a shot. They said turn all pumps skimmers off for an hour.

An hour might be a little excessive. The idea is to not skim them, but if they are still floating after 20 minutes, they aren't healthy. They should swim like the dickens for any surface to cling to as soon as they are in the water.

bavass said:
Marinedepot has helped me on several occasions and they have always been dead on! Trust them

Will do. They seem to know why there doing and they spend all the time you need on the phone never rushing anything.

Back
Top Bottom