should i use this buffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey, i just reallized that my freshwater pH test comes w/a pH UP bottle...

heres the link to it

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1149476416146&itemNo=6&In=Fish&N=2030152&Ne=2

My question is...since my pH is kinda low in my saltwater tank, could i use this next time i do a PWC to bring it up? I really dont know, since its a freshwater test kit. Would it even bring it up that high? and if anyone has a picture of the little color chart that you hold the test tube up to to read it...please post it...i've lost mine.

thanks!
mike[/quote]

I doubt you could use it. I use Kent Marine's superbuffer dkh.. maintains ph nicely as well as alkalinity..

You shouldn't have to buffer. Just have your PHs pointed to the surface to add more gas exchange. I used to use a buffer (I can't remember what brand), but I could never keep the pH stable. I would have to buffer every day. I have found that the lid I used to have was giving me problems with gas exchange. I now have lights that are above the tank and my pH is much better.
What is your pH now?

i have the powerheads doing that right now...still 7.7...I dont wanna use a buffer if i dont have to because i dont wanna add it every day mostly.

As for my lid, i dont have one...open top, and i've got a couple fo my PH's pointing at the top (not directly up, but you know.) I'm doing a water change later today so i'll see what happens. I'm thinkin about switching my salt if this water change doesnt work..i'm on oceanic, but i dont like it.

oh, and speakin of salt...do i have to wait the whole 24 hours after mixing it before i do my change? i mixed it at about 4 or 5 yesterday evening, but i was just wondering if i actually have to wait till that time tonight, or if i can just do it this morning, or around 12 or something.

thanks all

24-36 hours is reccommended. I don't always do it for a full 24 hours, but I try to. It just depends on time restraints. Some is better than none. After my 1st water change, I just mixed it and added to my tank. I think the stressed my fish, all of them had nipped tails the next day.
I think CC might help keep the pH a littler higher, I think I read that in another post.
As for salt, I use instant ocean. Others like Oceanic. That might be a cause, I have never used it, so I don't know if it has a low pH or not.

ya a bunch of people that i've heard from that use oceanic say that it sucks. they say its high in...ah crap i cant remmeber, but they said it was high in something, which causes the pH to drop. Others say they use it w/no problems...wish i had no problems w/it cuz i can get it for 6 bucks for the 50 gallon jug! I'll wait till at least noon to do my change, that will be 20 hours. And i'll post back later to let you know if it worked.

wow, that seems like a pretty good price....how much does that go for in stores? like 50? and how much is shipping on yours? also, i've heard that chaeto uses carbon dioxide, which lowers pH...i'm getting a small hob fuge on friday w/some in it...think it'll work?

My LFS sells the 50Gallon for something like $20-$30, I think....

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4856
Doesn't have weight fees.

i've heard that chaeto uses carbon dioxide, which lowers pH...i'm getting a small hob fuge on friday w/some in it...think it'll work?

Not too sure on that one. I think it might help control nitrites or phosphates (i'll let someone that knows for sure answer).

sirdudeguy said:
also, i've heard that chaeto uses carbon dioxide, which lowers pH...
If your having PH problems in all likely hood cheato will not fix it. It will help stabilize PH when on an opposite lighting schedule than the tank in a refugium. FWIW all photosynthetic corals and algaes use CO2, that's why a tanks PH is highest during the day.
What brand test kit are you using and how old is it? What's your turnover rate (gph/tank size)? You may want to verify your results w/ a LFS if possible.

ya, i get my pH tested by a friends test kit whenever i go to his house (usually every day or other day in other words) and then when i go to the lfs..so a couple times a week there. they've been coming out w/the same results...not sure what brand my friends is, but the lfs uses some..ummm..."tool" for lack of better word. here, i just found a link to something that looks exactly like theirs...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

anyways, both come out to 7.7. and ya, i forgot about chaeto running on opposite light schedule from the tank only stabilizes...well at least my pH will be stable...

as for turnover rate...i got 2 aquaclear 30's (used to be 301, which is what the box for them says) which put out 175 gph, and the fluval 304 which does 260. so total its 610 gph (thats if they are even pushing out what the companies claim they can) I'm gonna be getting at least one more powerhead sometime soon, because the ac's are weak, and i'm gonna be getting some polyps and whatnot.

so what all do you guys suggest? I'll have my new numbers tonight after i get it tested at the lfs...i'm gonna do the pwc in about 15 minutes so we'll see if that helps, and i've got one of the powerheads facing upwards more so the top is more turbulent. I DONT wanna add a buffer...too much to worry about. should i try the baking soda thing? i dont know how it works but i'm sure someone here does.

ya, i get my pH tested by a friends test kit whenever i go to his house
That could be your problem. When the sample is removed from the tank and sits still it's will absorb CO2 and lower the PH.
I DONT wanna add a buff
Especially to Oceanic salt. It's known for having very high Alk right out of the box.

sir_dudeguy said:
so what all do you guys suggest?
Adding another power head, like an MJ 1200, would be a good idea. Especially if you plan on adding coral. I would also recommend you buy a good test kit and test a fresh sample from the tank and some freshly made SW(mixed for at least 24 hours) to see if there is a problem w/ the batch of salt your using.

oh dang...so when i take my water to the lfs...i put it in a baggie, and drive about..ohhh say 8 minutes? would that be long enough for it to drop? i do live in az, so its pretty hot when i drive there (no a/c!!!) i'm not sure if that would affect anything tho...i'm gonna have to buy a good pH tester...what kind do you guys recommend? i cant buy one of the thngs the lfs uses...to much any brands to get/stay away from?
thanks

and test a fresh sample from the tank and some freshly made SW(mixed for at least 24 hours) to see if there is a problem w/ the batch of salt your using.

Ditto. Is your salt of good consistency? Never gotten wet and does't have hard clumps in it?

nope, salt is fine

***EDIT*****

ok..i just got back from getting it tested and its only gone up .1...so its at 7.8 instead of 7.7. My next water change is gonna be a dif. salt. I do not want to add buffers at all...just doesnt seem like a good idea.

sir_dudeguy said:
so when i take my water to the lfs...i put it in a baggie, and drive about..ohhh say 8 minutes? would that be long enough for it to drop?
A few minutes is not too long. That short an amount time shouldn't cause much difference. Obviously the smaller the sample the more quickly PH will drop.
sir_dudeguy said:
...i'm gonna have to buy a good pH tester...what kind do you guys recommend?
If your talking about a test kit, I like Seachem or Salifert. Seachem makes a kit that comes w/ just Alk and PH tests that's fairly inexpensive and reliable. HTH and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom