six line picking on peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed this morning the six line wrasse keeps chasing one of my peppermint shrimps. Why? I haven't noticed the peppermint shrimp molting lately. Next question, the tails of the two peppermints look like they have died, they are black. They have been like that for 3-4 weeks now. What could be wrong with them? I have been adding iodine thinking maybe that needed help molting. Please help.

It sounds sort of like an Iodine overdose ... Are you testing before you add iodine/iodide?
As for the chasing cant help you there

I didn't start putting iodine in until I saw the black on the tail. I put a capful in once a week, and that is for 50g and I have a 75g tank. I haven't tested the iodine levels.

If you do regular water changes, there is NO need to add anything to your water.

I would not add any more till you test ... Iodine can be toxic. As Hara said water changes should cover that .... other than that I would suggest largish water change .... check your levels and check your calcium . Another reefer recommend that to me you may have high calcium/alk .

I agree here also that weekly PWC`s will take care of all your iodine needs. What are your water parameters?

I think some wrasses will eat smaller (8 line definitely comes to mind) shrimp, snails and such, sorry to hear that!

Back
Top Bottom