Snow flake eel loosing colour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently had bad out-break of ick in my tank, and its starting to come around finnally. I lost several fish, but my eel (who is my favourite) has been fine for the whole ordeal.

Last night he came out to eat as he normally does and I noticed he was alot whiter in colour and didn't have the yellow patterns on him that he usually does.

Is this normal when they get stressed perhaps? I've never seen him change colour before.

Firstly, did you treat your fish properly in a QT tank? Or if you have no inverts/live rock, did you treat the main tank? Also, what method did you use for getting rid of the ich? Chemicals out there, won't kill the ich parasite and its life cycle, it will only remove it from your fish, for a set amount of time. The ich parasite will STILL be present in the water column. Therefore, once the fish is rid of the ich parasite, by chemicals, it will acquire the parasite all over again because it has not fully been exterminated, and remains in the water column. The only things that i know of that successfuly kill the parasite, is Hypo treatment, and Copper medicines.. But Copper kills inverts, and turns live rock brown, which is why it's best to use Copper in a seperate tank.

Anyways, did you have the light off, and then when you went to feed him, you turned the light back on? After observing the color fade, does he ever go back to his normal color, and then back to the faded color? A lot of times, fish when they are sleeping, or just chilling out in the dark, their colors will fade. But then, after spending time in the light, they will regain their colors. This phenomina has scared many aquarists, thinking their fish are dying or have obtained some sort of disease. When in reality, it was just the normal behavior of the fish.

What are you feeding the eel as well?

Also, can you list your water parameters here? So we can at least rule out that something isn't going on in your tank. Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia, pH, the works.

If I'm not mistaken (I don't have one) but I think Moray's don't do well in high nitrates. You might want to take a nitrate reading. Hopefully it's well under 20-ish.

It's a good sign that he's eating. What do you feed him. I think I read that they need their food to be high in vitamins or else they start to over produce their mucous coating which could be the whiteness that you see.

I treated using ich-X in the tank (FOWLR), nitrate is around 20ish, but that where it is alot of the time in the tank. ammonia is 0, and the other levels are in line.

Wow, you used a Formalin/Malachite Green medication on a scaleless fish; No wonder the animal isn't doing well. More than likely you burned the morays natural slime-coat and skin during the treatment, which alludes to the "white" appearance. Morays do fine in high nitrates, over 100ppm, but keeping them as low as possible (under 40ppm) is best. Water changes and a varied diet is this morays best friend right now.

I think James hit it on the head. You`ll need to do some frequent PWC`s to get the water back to where it needs to be.

Yikes! I had no idea that this treatment wasn't good for the eel. I was just going on what the LFS had suggested.

Now I was going to try and move some fish to a qt, but how do you catch the little buggers? I have 200+ pounds of live rock in there and it gives them alot of space for hiding.

Either you lure him out with food and bag him while he is not paying attention, or you will have to take some amount of rocks out to get to him. I would be extremely careful if i were you because eels have a nasty bite, and those wounds more than not, tend to get infected. And it gets reallll nasty. So be cautious. Keep your hands away from his mouth at all costs..

Back
Top Bottom