Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuck85ap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Purchased an aga megaflow sump last night it's for 55gallon tank, I have a 40 breeder, I was wondering what size pump should I use for it?? The sump came with no info or specs, I got it for $50 the retail was $350 any suggestions?

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a drilled tank or an overflow? What that is rated for will help determine what flow youre looking for. :)

I don't have pre drilled so I wa going with the HOB overflow box, that will give me the specs?

Yep, just see what it's rated for. They average probably 600 or maybe 800gph at most I'd say for a single overflow. if thats the case something like a Mag7 would probably work. About 700gph out the pump and a bit less accounting for the head loss as it makes it way back to the tank. :) I'd alos put a ball valve on the return line to make sure you can dial in the flow exactly.

I believe if your HOB has a one inch bulkhead on it then it is 600gph. So therefore the mag 7 should def work for you. I would also put a shut off on both the feed and the return just for maintance purposes.

Back
Top Bottom