Sun coral reviving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tattoed_alex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so my lfs usually puts their dead or dying coral in a tub so it can become live rock and they sell the rock at 3.99 a pound so I found a nice piece of what I thought was a dead sun coral it was a brown and looked like a piece of rock I bought it for 1.75 and I put it in my tank after about a week I noticed a part of it turned pink and now it looks like yellow polyps are coming out of the pink section.i have coco worms and some acans I feed them micro verb and frozen cyclops is it possible that the sun coral was just starving and it's reviving because of my feelings? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418424867.782759.jpg
This is the whole piece of coral it's all brown looks like a normal piece of live rock except for that small section

It's possible, but I think it's more likely you have better water quality. They will take meaty foods when they come out. You can feed them whole mysis shrimp.

Thanks
Would the whole piece of coral eventually get it's color back and grow polyps?

If things are kept stable and pristine, it might be able to make some sort of a comeback. The tricky part will get some actual tentacles to come out so you can feed it a piece of shrimp or something. Liquid stuff won't cut it with these guys, but might help with them actually trying to feed. This coral can be tricky to keep at times.

In terms of the entire colony, only the colored part is the only place where it is still alive. It won't regrow the dead areas, but if things are healthy and it is able to grow new heads it will.

Yeah, most of those heads appear to be gone. It will probably grow out from there, and the dead heads will just get covered over with new skeleton.

Ok thanks for the advice :)
I've been watching him carefully and looks like the polyps are growing in so hopefully he will make it
I ended up with possibly a nice sun coral and I only paid $1.75 lol

Back
Top Bottom