Sunflower Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeff8183

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok ive seen a couple diffrent articles on this and one says it needs low water flow and some says it needs high which is true

They need to be direct feed on a regular basis...... A few guys in my reef club have them and they have them in low flow areas..... I don't have any so I can't say which is best.

I'll support low flow. They need to be able to catch food particles. IMO, they don't have very good grip. High flow tends to sweep the food right past them.

Ok that looks nothing like mine, at the LFS it was sold as sunflower but they are notorious for selling things of the wrong name ill try to get a camera in the next couple days to get a pic of it on here but for now the skeleton is bright green and it comes about with about 100 sweepers with little bright green and purple sunflower looking things on the end, any ideas what the real name of it is

This a great coral but does need some special attention. I have a pic of mine in my gallery. Low flow is good. It will extend its polyps when it senses food in the water. It will need to be target fed two or three times a week. Just cut the top off of a large pop bottle. place it over the coral and squirt food into the Drinking hole.

Your coral is either a Goniopora (24 "petals" per "flower") or Alveopora (12 "petals" per "flower"). Common name "Flower Pot". Your LFS has sold you one of the most difficult to care for corals. They thrive on weekly feedings of liquid life and blender mush. They otherwise have an abysmal survival rate.

Checkout www.reefcraze.com for the Infamous JenNKerry collection of Goni's and Alve's!

There's a picture of my accidental goni in my gallery. Good luck with it!

Your coral is either a Goniopora (24 "petals" per "flower") or Alveopora (12 "petals" per "flower"). Common name "Flower Pot".
that is a possibility. Or it could be a sun coral, tubastraea sp. Any chance on getting a pic?

i have a flower pot coral, and was told the same thing...very hard to keep...but i got mine on sale for 29.99 from my reputable LFS. I have had mine over a year and is doing well...it in moderate flow and 1/2 way to the top of my 55 gallon and 220 watts CF.

doug

I have a pic in my gallery now or its under the indefication forum as "ID this coral"
I apperciate the help guys any thing else you can share would be great

goniporia.

they are super hard to keep for any length of time apparently. I've had mine for 3 months give or take. I supplement my water with kent liquid reactor, microvert and phytoplex.

So far so good.

There is a link in this thread that you should read about caring for them.

someone told me it was flower pot so im guessing thats it there is a pic in my gallery if you want to take a look at it

*bows* Called it without the pic :lol:

Did you check out the link in my prior post? JenNKerry have had phenomenal success with this difficult animal (to the extent that Liquid life is supplying them with free food for research purposes).

If you look closely at each of your "flowers" you'll see that each flower has exactly 24 petals or tentacles coming off of it. The sister species Alveopora tends to maintain more of the "flower" shape and has 12 of those petals to each flower (the easier of the 2 animals to keep).

Good luck with it. Apparently it is possible to keep these, but you're going to have to work at it in order for it to survive. Yours looks great right now so I wouldn't change the position unless you find that it stops opening for more than a day or two or your polyp extension starts to diminish. If you start to notice less and less polyp extension that's your indicator that it is on the decline so pay close attention to that.

ive had it for about 3 months and havnt moved it so far, the pic i have here its really not doing it justice i borrowed the camera so ill get it over the weekend again and get a good pic of it, its normaly about twice the size of that and i would say the polypes get about 6-8 inches out from the stone, thanks guys all your post were very helpful

Back
Top Bottom