Tank Migration…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLHoenig

Aquarium Advice Activist
My current setups are:

1) 29g Nano Cube populated with:
• 2 clowns
• 1 yellow tang
• 1 Molly Miller Blennie
• 1 purple fire fish
• 1 green chromis
• 1 blue tuxedo urchin
• 1 cleaner shrimp

2) 75g with 20 long sump with 10g water populated with:
• 2 clowns
• 1 green chromis
• 1 hawkfish
• 1 saddleback Toby
• 1 yellow tang
• 2 blue tuxedo urchins

Both have LR, corals, montis, mushrooms, nems and zoas.

I scored an amazing deal ($200!) on a complete 110g setup with coral, but since there’s no room to keep 3 tanks, the 29 is being decommissioned. I’m not clear on what or how much coral & LR is included with the new tank, but I know that I’ll be bringing home some water as well…

The new tank will be here in 5 days, so I started acclimating the 29g livestock by transferring 1g from the 29 into the 75 and replacing it with 1g from the 75, post-mix. I did this four times today, 2-3 hours apart, and plan to continue with four blendings/day until Wednesday afternoon/evening and begin transferring everything into the 75 when the shuffle starts on Thursday.

The 29 will be drained, moved to a temporary location, then refilled with its current water.

The 75 will be drained and be relocated to the 29’s present location because the 110 will only fit where the 75 is now.

Everything will end up in the 110 after the shuffling is done.

In lieu of any PWC this week, I plan to save as much water as possible so I can split it between the two big tanks. At that point, I’ll probably use my current 30g supply of clean premix to top off the 110. This has the net effect of a 30g PWC in the 110…

I’ll still have the water from the 29 available to restart the 75 - to my mind, this has the benefit of shortening the cycle time for the 75 (right?). I’ll need to make a LFS run for about 60g of premix to top off the 75…

That’s a long path to what amounts to the simplest of questions:

1) Does this sound like a good plan?

2) Since the 75 will have a new population, and the LR will be rearranged to accommodate all the newcomers, will the clowns pester each other very much? How about the tangs?

3) Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The livestock in both tanks aren’t really fit for the housing. They will beat each other to death, especially the tangs and clowns. Both don’t take too kindly to similar types outside of mated pairs.

That’s what I was afraid of; I’d hoped it would be relatively safe in the larger environment for a short time, until the 75 is ready to go again…

Might have to keep the 29 a bit longer, in a different location…

Back
Top Bottom