Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been posting questions and new aquisitions on multiple posts, and figured that it would be easier if I just ask in all one thread.

Here is the details:

54 gallon bowfront CORNER tank / Stand

AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture 24"
(2) 24" T5 HO 24W 420 / 460 lamps
(2) 24" T5 HO 24W 10,000K Lamp
(2) 1W Lunar LED's

Built in Overflow

Marineland NJ1800 Return pump rated at 474 GPH

10 gallon Sump with LR

300w heater

The fish that came with the tank were (4) green Chromis, and a decent CUC.

Recent additions: Flame Angel, and Hammer Coral

My "wishlist" that I am working towards starting this weekend is composed of: 1. Royal Gramma 2. Diamond Watchman Goby 3. Pair of Black / White Clowns 4. Sixline Wrasse

The pics are my Sump setup, and my question is... I would like to upgrade to a sump / refugium / skimmer, does anyone know of any good "Pre-made" options?

I found a few doing a very quick search... Any feedback would be great.

Thanks AA.

PS. I will post pics of the Tank as I take em.

Found these

Aqueon Modular ProFlex Sump Filtration - Aquarium Sumps - Sumps and Refugiums - PRODUCTS - English

Small Octopus Reef Sump with built in filter Sock - English

Amazon.com: Model 20 ADHI Refugium Filter System 3 chamber w Light 90g: Home & Garden

Amazon.com: Eshopps RS-75 Reef Sump - Up to 75 gallons - 18 in. x 10 in. x 16 in.: Home & Garden

I would definitely upgrade, but it doesn't look like you have any more room. A cool thing you can do, would be to stack some 10g tanks, with a hole drilled underneath so that it drains to the next tank, and the next until the return pump. Each tank can have different equipment, heater, skimmer, etc with some LR rubble and chaeto in each.

I would be replacing the current sump with a new one... the ones that I listed were almost exactly the same dimensions as my current one, just much more complex. The 10 gallon idea is kinda neat though I would think they would have to be staggerd in order for the skimmer to stick out the bottom.

Thanks for the idea, and normally I'm all about DIY, but for right now with this, I would really like to go pre-made.

I would definitely upgrade, but it doesn't look like you have any more room. A cool thing you can do, would be to stack some 10g tanks, with a hole drilled underneath so that it drains to the next tank, and the next until the return pump. Each tank can have different equipment, heater, skimmer, etc with some LR rubble and chaeto in each.

I had a very knowledgeable LFS owner tell me that all 10 gallon tanks are tempered glass all the way around, and it is impossible to drill them. Unless you had one custom made. But even still, I wouldn't want to have LR stacked in a tank with an un-tempered bottom.

I have seen a DIY sump made out of a rubbermaid set of drawers that has the same idea as what you proposed though.

You can use a heavy duty Rubbermaid tub, they work fine. Easy to drill! I would rather have a acrylic or plastic sump rather than glass anyway. Glass breaks. Standard 10 gallon tanks are flimsy at best and I think your LFS is right, hard to drill.

Well, as I said above, for this project I'd rather plug and play. I was looking around quite a bit last night, and I kept coming back to this:

Amazon.com: Aqueon ProFlex Model 1 Modular Sump Filtration System: Kitchen & Dining

It seems to be a relatively well priced, nice unit that's dimensions are made to fit under a 54 gallon bowfront.

If anybody knows of something really bad with these, let me know. If not, I'll order one shortly, and then it'll be time for a skimmer. The skimmer on the other hand will be more tricky as this sump has a SMALL footprint for a skimmer.

The skimmer compartment is 6.25" x 9.75". I've looked at the octopus skimmers and even the NW110 is too big. I looked at Bubble King, Vertex, APC, and Tunze and couldn't find a skimmer big enough for a 54 gallon salt and a small enough footprint to fit. I believe the company shows a coralife skimmer:

http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Styl...UN7G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313765456&sr=8-4

I haven't heard many reviews about these, but I'd like to go with something that is well built, quiet, and efficient. Not too much to ask, right?

Anybody have any feedback about the sump or a small footprint skimmer?

Thanks all!

The rubbermaid drawer is a really good idea, and is the same as what I proposed, except easier to assemble. The only thing is, where to put the skimmer?

The proflex you linked was my first choice! Just for my size tank it was a bit pricey. Will it fit in your stand? And how much height clearance do you have? Skimmers are tall.....

carey said:
The proflex you linked was my first choice! Just for my size tank it was a bit pricey. Will it fit in your stand? And how much height clearance do you have? Skimmers are tall.....

The model 1 fits perfectly in the stand and plenty on vertical room for the skimmer like 26" top to bottom - the hard part is getting one with a small enough footprint!

TLTGF said:
The model 1 fits perfectly in the stand and plenty on vertical room for the skimmer like 26" top to bottom - the hard part is getting one with a small enough footprint!

The Marineland Marine In sump series 100 gallon should fit.The pump fits under the skimmer itself.I have the 300 gallon model in my sump for my 75 gallon and it works great.

TLTGF said:

Check out aquacave.com. they list the footprints of all the skillets. :)

Guys and gals, please check out these (4) skimmers that I have found (Thanks Rick), and let me know your opinions on the one I should get. I saw a review of the sump and I believe they were using Eshoppes, and the Aqeon site shows the coralife skimmer. Anyway, take a look please, and let me know what's up.

Thanks ahead of time.

Eshopps PSK 75 In Sump Protein Skimmer, 10-75 gal. tank - AquaCave

Marineland Marine Series Advanced In-Sump Skimmers | Protein Skimmers | PetSolutions#

Coralife Needle Wheel Skimmers | Aquarium Supplies | PetSolutions

BUBBLE-MAGUS - Aquarium Internal skimmer|external skimmer|Dosing pump|Calcium reactor|Nitrate reductor/NO3 reductor|Filters|Turtle shell lampshade|Water monitor and controller|Additives|moonlight LED

I have the eshopps psk 150 running in my 125g and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. Afterit broke in it removes a lot of gunk. And I mean some stinky nasty stuff...just was a bit**ch to adjust just right. lol

Well, I know you like your eshopps, bubble magus is supposedly legendary, Marineland was given a good review by Ricksreef, and the coralife is rated for the biggest tank, up to 125 gallons.

This is harder than I thought! :)

From what I;ve read the coralife isnt all its cracked up to be. AHve you looked at the reef octopus ones? They are also legendary lol I mean ALOT of people swear by them. They were a tad out of my budget so i didnt get one. I got the eshopps for like $100 bucks so i couldnt pass it up.

Yeah, I have the money for whatever, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not find a Octopus small enough! I'll triple check, cause that's what I really wanted. Honestly though, you telling that the eshopps is good, means a lot, so quite frankly, that is almost assuredly the way I will go.

Back
Top Bottom