Tiny little particles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GatorDrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, so my tank is really starting to annoy me now. When I first established the tank I had tiny little particles in the water. I thought it was part of the setup process, since this was my first SW tank. However, it's been about 4 weeks now and I still don't have CRYSTAL clear water (similar to my FW tanks). I have a 90G w/ 130ish pounds of LR. There is a panther grouper, lion fish, and green wolf eel. I have about 6 turbo snails, four sand shifting snails, and some type of crab for the cleaning crew.

There is an overflow box w/ wet dry and a protein skimmer.

I don't know what else to do. They don't seem like little air bubbles... but I guess they could be...?

Let me know what else to look for.

Thanks,
Andrew

PS: Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites are practically perfect.

I have Live Sand.

Filtration? Well, the wet/dry has the typical blue/white pad and bio balls. I put a chemi-pure pad on top of the blue/white pad.

Have you tried turning off the protein skimmer for awhile and see if the water clears up? That will rule out micro bubbles. I would suspect particulate matter from the chemi pur. You might want to take out the pads, rinse them well and put them back in again too.

I have a snowflake eel, and a CB that are always in and out of the rockwork. They are FOREVER kicking up debris and sand that gets whirled around in the water column. I try clean my prefilter pad every couple of days, and this does help some... but all in all, I am resigned to it... till I can catch that durn eel!

Hara said:
Have you tried turning off the protein skimmer for awhile and see if the water clears up? That will rule out micro bubbles. I would suspect particulate matter from the chemi pur. You might want to take out the pads, rinse them well and put them back in again too.

Well, I had the problem before I had the protein skimmer. I was hoping the protein skimmer would get rid of the tiny particles so I could get that "crystal clear" water...

EDIT:
After further review from some friends, the water appears to be a little cloudy and has some micro bubbles. I don't think it's caused by the protein skimmer though... because, as said, it's been around before the skimmer.[/b]

I have a setup identical to yours and I had the same problem - microscopic particles making the water a little milky. I solved it with a canister mechanical filter (http://www.eheim.com/classic.htm) which takes/feeds from the sump. I filled it half with those small ceramic balls and half with that cotton-wool-like stuff they sell for filtering FW tanks.

The pump in it sometimes creates tiny bubbles, so I run it on a timer 12 hours a day outside viewing times.

As most of the filtering happens in the sump filter, I only need to change the cotton-wool once a month.

Back
Top Bottom