To UV Sterilize or Not To UV Sterilize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azsooner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been using a Via Aqua Muti-Skimmer on my 40 gallon reef tank for about three months. A friend suggested that I purchase the optional UV Sterilizer for the Via Aqua.

I understand what the unit does. However, does anyone know if there are drawbacks to having a UV Sterlizer on a reef tank. I assume it will kill the phytoplankton that I feed my corals. Is that a problem?

Jeff

However, does anyone know if there are drawbacks to having a UV Sterlizer on a reef tank.

Other than the statement that followed this question I dont know of any other real drawback. Its possible if the wattage is high enough and the flow is slow enough it could warm the water slightly.

It will only kill what gets exposed to the UV light. phyto that does not get exposed to the UV light will be unharmed, this also goes for the parasites and bactera in the tank aswell.

IMO if your not having problems with your tank I would not put the money into a UV unit.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably wait to see if any issues develop before I add this.

Back
Top Bottom