Topoff systems - direct connect vs reservoir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I am in the early stages of setting up a 92g reef tank. One thing that is abundantly clear is that I will require an auto-topoff system. Because space is limited under the tank, I am considering plumbing my system directly to an RO/DI system with a timer as a safeguard should the solenoid stick in the open position.

However, recently, I have begun to consider utilizing a reservoir along with a peristaltic pump (which should have no problem pumping from the next room.) My thoughts were that this would make it easier should I decided to incorporate kalkwasser into the mix.

I have 2 questions, is one system recommended over the other? How do those of you that direct connect incorporate kalkwasser?

Interests: Reptiles, SW Aquaria

I am considering plumbing my system directly to an RO/DI system with a timer as a safeguard should the solenoid stick in the open position.

IMO, I don't think you need a timer for this. Using a float valve will stop the water from overfilling the sump and typically can handle a fair amount of pressure. In the case that your solenoid does fail, the only result would be continous waste water production.

I use a reservoir for my set up. I normally don't have more water in it that my sump can't absorb. I don't want any messes. I have a 2 float valve set up as well to kill the pump if the water gets to high but I want to be safe.

I have decided to proceed along the lines of a direct connect setup. I am going to implement a pressure switch with a float switch backup. This will allow the water to drop 1" so when the RO/DI kicks on it will flow long enough to build pressure an maintain effectiveness. Also, for additional safety, I found the following that I will put inline. Its a water alarm designed for refrigerators that will switch off the solenoid if triggered.

https://www.thewateralarm.com/productDetails.asp?idcategory=6&idproduct=7

Back
Top Bottom